stuck starter?

Today I drove my '74 Super 200 miles and just before I got home I stopped for gas. When I tried to restart the car it was totally dead and did nothing. So while I was looking under the decklid looking stupid some random guy suggested push starting it. The car came right back and I drove it home. I've tried starting it a few times today and everything seems fine now. What was this? Was my starter somehow jammed? Is this something that should require the starter being taken out or should I just keep going until I see other symptoms? Thanks.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

gas. When I tried to restart the car it

looking stupid some random guy suggested push

it a few times today and everything seems

should require the starter being taken

While it *could* be the starter, it's much more likely an electrical problem. The Ignition switch often acts like that after running a long time.

Next time, get underneath and jumper the starter like:

Wear glasses! And make sure shift is in Neutral!

You can also jumper under the back seat. Look for the Red wire spliced to the Red/Blk. Jump that to the battery + post.

If the starter cranks the engine either way, the Ignition switch is a likely culprit. Also, check that the push-on connector on the starter solenoid is tight and not corroded.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Would the car then running somehow make it likely to start again. I have my doubts in the starter, here's some background.

Two and a half years ago I got a new engine installed in it and the first time driving it exhibited identical symptoms. I took it back and the guy put in a rebuilt starter from the auto parts store, the next day the car experienced similar symptoms. That starter was replaced under warranty and that takes me to today. The fact that I got a defective starter that did the same symptoms that was replaced by one from the same place makes me wonder if I have another POS starter. If it happens again and it is proven to be the starter, I'm getting a new Bosch one, rebuilt stuff sucks IMO.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Ben,

I had the same symptoms with my '69 (started out doing it every once and a while, then it got progressively worse), and replaced it with a new Bosch starter from aircooled.net and it hasn't done it since.

The starter jumper idea by Speedy Jim is a great idea too, for troubleshooting (because the switch is often faulty). Good idea to check for cheap stuff first.

Dane

Ben Boyle wrote:

doubts in the starter, here's some

driving it exhibited identical symptoms.

the next day the car experienced similar

The fact that I got a defective starter

me wonder if I have another POS starter.

Bosch one, rebuilt stuff sucks IMO.

Reply to
Dane Tyler

you *may* want to also check the bushging for wear if it proves to comne down to the starter...as the trany heats the housing and bushing will expand,,,,this will agravat an allready marginal bushing and not properly support the starter shaft. If it *does* prove to be starter related and not wiring or switch...you may want to replace boith the starter and bushing at teh same time.

/...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

hehe... looks like the graphic I made...

or you can read about why the starter wont work.... just a little something i typed up about starters and no-starts - since its a common problem

1966 Type I - Daily Driver

stopped for gas. When I tried to restart the car it

decklid looking stupid some random guy suggested push

starting it a few times today and everything seems

something that should require the starter being taken

Reply to
dragenwagen