Switching to electronic ignition on a 72 van

Has anyone done this and what components did you use?

Reply to
Mike

what do you mean by electronic ignition?

  1. simple points replacement unit with no "brain" (Pertronix is my favorite, Compufire is just as popular and Bugpack's Accu-Fire is a re-packaged Compufire)
  2. CDI kit, uses either points or the above setup, gives out more powerful spark (Tiger and Lumenition I think)
  3. MSD or equivalent "BOX" that does the same as above but offers features like adjustable rev limiter, multiple spark etc. (MSD, Crane Cams)
  4. Programmable ignition that uses some or all of the above and can be programmed with a laptop, and is often used with other engine management systems like programmable fuel injection etc. (Motec, Hestec, many others)

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Karl

I had a Pertronix on my bus but fried it by using the quick start setting on a battery charger. Have points in there now but will probably go back to a Pertronix sometime.

-- Christian '71 Bus - Turtle

Save Darfur --

Vision (Darfur) --
(Sudan) --