Swivel feet, Full-flow & Sucking Golf Balls, Batman!

To All:

I've been posting VW info to the internet for more than ten years now. The poop I've posted is based on my direct, personal experience with air cooled Volkswagens dating from 1954 and I'm still learning; my daily driver is a '65 bus backed up by a 67 baja. My wife drives a 71 Ghia and there are four other VW's around the place.

If you want to find out what I've posted -- and in what context -- call up Google's 'advanced search' feature, enter my screen-name (veeduber) as the author and type the subject you want to locate in the 'exact phrase' field, such as full-flow, CDI and so forth.

Please keep in mind that I'm not claiming to be any kind of an expert, I'm simply stating what worked for me. I mention this because you will see that most of the things I've found to be useful in maintaining my vehicles and making them more efficient do NOT agree with the Conventional Wisdoms espoused by those who DO claim to be experts. For example, I always thought the -009 was a piece of shit. And I found no electrical difference between a blue coil and a black one. And I've always said so.

I've posted this because the answer to Dan's question is that I've already answered it, several times over and in several different ways. But the odds are, I've said exactly the same thing in each of those answers and see no need to do it again.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Bob, Nice to once again hear your wisdom. I think you have been around a bit longer then me. Interesting how once someone says something about a part like the 009, it becomes law. Nothing anyone says after matters. I just installed a Mallory Unilite in my 914 powered bug and it runs much better I feel it was a massive improvement over the 009. You have to admit the blue coil was a great advertising trick that stood for years. Paint it blue, throw in an 009 and sell loads at twice the price.

Joe Cali -

Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Joe, do you have any experience or info on the Compu-Fire DIS-IX? Could it make any difference over the Mallory Unilite?

Reply to
jjs

Troy- I kinda think maybe that was what the second paragraph was all about and why he posted this message in the first place. This one:

context -- call up

(veeduber) as the

'exact phrase' field,

Reply to
Busahaulic

Thats all good and well Bob. But Dan may not have read your postings or even know of you.

Troy74Baja

Reply to
Troy74Baja

Yeah, I know Bob, well, as well as one can through the intenet and he has provided plenty of info in the past. I never thought about doing the Google search thing, and will try that. No point in recreating the wheel.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I've been reluctant to take Bob Hoover's material from the 'net because I seem to recall some resentment on his part from being ripped off.

Reply to
jjs

"being ripped off" is the important part of your statement, I don't know anyone that enjoys it.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

The material was posted for the INDIVIDUAL use of all. Any 'resentment' stems from the failure of a few to respect my copyrights, publishing and otherwise using the material without my permission.

As a point of interest the fifty megabytes or so of drawings & photos depicting the HVX engine modifications, the series on cylinder heads, including the templates for opening up the chambers, how-to replace the missing air dams and so forth -- has been removed from the Internet because some people still don't Get It: Failure to respect the rights of others will reduce the content of the Internet to a collection of worthless drivel.

The articles archived by Google can vanish just as quickly.

There IS such a thing as a Social Contract. It requires each of us as individuals to act in a manner that insures our collective survival -- for whatever purpose. Failure to appreciate both the need and the purpose of the Social Contract reduces the community to mediocrity. The best singer is the person with the biggest mouth; the best poster of information is the one who who posts the most messages, and so on.

The problem here is like the Big Yellow Taxi -- people wanting valid information don't miss it 'til its gone... when they find their once useful database contains nothing but yuk-yuk one-lines and mindless drivel.

Your choice. I already know how to rebuild a tranny :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Oh, like those low-lifes who sell CDROMs of your work. I understand. I hope there was no misunderstanding. I was trying to respect your intellectual property by not downloading anything - not giving the site originator the benefit of the doubt.

John C - I recall the issue you may be referring to. A damn shame that nowadays anybody with money can send a part to China and get bad copies made to ruin the inventor/designer. I'm sorry if that is what happened to you. It is going to get much worse before it gets better - if it ever does. God this is depressing!

Reply to
jjs

Unfortunately the dishonesty of profiting from others ideas runs rampant in the U.S. Most small operations do not have the financial resources to fight the large companies. Truth and justice for all with money. A VW related example is the original Meyers Manx Dune Buggy. A plethora of other copy cats made more profits on the dune buggy than Bruce himself did.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

...not to mention that VW now has the term Dune Buggy copywrited and will sue yer ass if ya use it.....wonder if they paid Bruce anything.....hmmmm.... I didn't think so...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Nice to hear from you. I've found the info given on the VW factory location for the oil temp l to be 100 percent on the money and no one else seems to know about it. I had seen it years ago and use it as I believe it is the most acurate for me anyway. Thanks Dennis Ps. The

009 is a very good distri................Oh, forget it!

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I'm top posting here, cause it's a long thread. Black vs. blue coil, electricly the same (at least the originals were) the blue coil consists internaly of a composite compared to the black original who relied on oil... The difference is the ability to withstain vibrations, no more no less....... It must be one of the biggest marketing hypes of all times, I heard of the Blue coil hype long before I moved to the states in -81. And yes John, I have heard the gospel these days about the different variations these days regarding internal ballast or not...

Sincerely. P.J.Berg.

message

Reply to
P.J.Berg

On 11 Apr 2004 21:19:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Veeduber) scribbled this interesting note:

I can't believe this is so difficult for so many people to understand.

Once again I have to say thank you to Bob for making those drawings available at all.

Unfortunately the noise to signal ratio on the Internet is already a bit high!:~(

It seems, all too often, that the goal of the lowest common denominator is to reduce everything to that same sorry level...

Most all that stuff gets deleted here. If I ever want to see anything like that, TV at our house is still as free as it can be since we are one of the few around who still use broadcast television. Mindless drivel abounds...

I'm either going to need to know as well in the not too distant future or get a recommendation for a good rebuilder!:~(

John Willis

if you want a blue coil (the real ones), you better stock up now, bosch has discontinued them.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

With Bob Hoover's permission I have proudly posted his TULZ series on our web page for years. Thanks Bob and when are Tulz 13, 14, 15 ,etc coming out? :)

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill