Tail Pipes

I am having trouble getting the tail pipes to release from the silencer of the exhaust system. I ran into this problem years ago and remembered that it was very challenging then. Only the tail pipes need replaced; is there a safe and proven way to get the old ones out and replace with new? Thanks

Reply to
gcsgodfather

look at the earlier post about Nasty Tin screws

some of the suggested methods should apply here as well, such as penetrating oil, heating up hardware with a torch.

Ant> I am having trouble getting the tail pipes to release from the silencer

Reply to
anton

gcsgodfather

I have no knowledge on their performance. If you say your car is stock, keep it stock then. Also if those tips are made in taiwan there that's another insentive in sticking with stock tail pipes.

btw, WW carries stainless.

Just a though, no expirience with with different tips, to be honest I never had stock exhaust on my cars.

Cheers, Anton

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

anton

I replaced my stock ones (rusty) and decided to go with the tapered from cip1.com. The sound produced is deeper and a little louder (maybe), but not at all obnoxious. I guess the term is (throaty), I like it. As far as the look....way cool. As far as getting your originals out, I'll assume you have by now. When installing the new ones, make sure the little pipe located inside the left side of the muffler (look in with a flashlight and you will see it) goes into the new tailpipe .25 (that's one quarter) inch. The Bentley manual shows how to do this. Just use a tape measure. For example, if the new tail pipe is 10 inches long, first put the new tailpipe in the left side. Put the end of you tape measure into the pipe until it contacts the heater pipe in the muffler, and then adjust the tailpipe so the end of it is sticking out to the 9.75 inches mark on the tape.

I would say give the tapered ones a try. If you don't like them you can switch them easy enough.

Have Fun, John

Reply to
Jakalope

Forgot to mention one little trick that I use on during exhaust installs. Use some antiseize on the studs, bolts and nuts. will never rust and will be a breeze to take apart when you have to. I guess you can put some inside new pipes.

Anton

Jakal> > Thanks for the input Anton. When I do get the old pipes off, I am

Reply to
anton

Hey John, Interestingly enough, I just happened to order the tapered tips from cip1.com yesterday; I was glad to hear your comments about them. Thanks for the input and advice on installation as well. Scott

Reply to
gcsgodfather

Reply to
gcsgodfather