tell me why...

Cv Joints - attached by 6 bolts each end.

the bolts are in 3 'pairs' each pair has a ?long washer? (metal plate)

what function does this part have ?

just wondering - you know how you like to know what each bit is for !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I dunno... but I'll guess...

Maybe to some how distribute the pressure on the cv-joint? or maybe balancing of some sort? I cant really see it preventing the other bolt in the "pair" from backing out if it became loose... or maybe its they are there so the new owner can see if the P.O. pays attention to detail and put them back in when they changed out a noisey cv-joint? (like these little rubber boots that go on brake bleeder valves, or the little rubber caps that go in to the backing plates where the brake adjuster holes are!!)

I can surely tell ya it sounds like hell when you dont secure ALL the bolts and and it comes loose from the wheel side and bangs around on the underside a few times...

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

1966 Type I
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
Reply to
dragenwagen

the heads on the cv bolts are very small...so the plates are spreader plates for the clamping force.....the heads can't really be larger(couldn't even fit a washer head bolt in there) due to the inner diameter of the joint....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thats all I could think of too. I saw a garrett turbo, and it had the same thing on two bolts, and I wondered if there was more to the design than that !

Reply to
tricky

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

I like those little serrated lock washers they use too - never seen them used anywhere else!

Reply to
Wolfgang