Temp Gauge...

Hi, Just bought a temp gauge for my '70 1300 bug and I was wondering: What is the normal temperature riding at 90 km/h in a highway for an hour? Beginning what temperature should I start to worry, want at what temperature should I just pull over. Thanks

MM

Reply to
Manuel Macedo

Converts to roughly 55MPH. I would expect oil temp somewhere around 85 to 100C. If it ever gets up to 120C, something is very wrong.

Temps vary quite widely, depending on where the sensor is located and on outside air temp. It also goes up very rapidly as the car goes faster, but you asked about a steady speed.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hum... I got a problem then. Gotta try and find the cause for the overheating... My sensor is where the oil pressure sensor use to be. It came with a T connector so I can still use the pressure switch.

Thanks!

MM

Reply to
Manuel Macedo

That's not a good location to measure oil temperature as there is no flow of oil past the sensor.

Before doing anything to the engine, make some measurement of the actual oil temperature by way of the dipstick opening. With a long, thin probe, a meat cooking thermometer is ideal for this. Many digital meters available today:

example.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim