The correct english/american name for ...

Hello NG! What is the part of the body om my 1303 between the windowframe and the luggagecompartment called? And is it possible to buy that piece of sheetmetal from new as a repair item? Greeting from Denmark.... MIC

Reply to
MIC

Greeting from US ....

It is called "cowl" or "cowling". The word originally came from "die Mönchskappe" or Monk's cap/hood. So...anything that makes or forms a cap or covering.

On aircraft, cowling is the sheet metal covering on an engine, for example.

On your Super Beetle, that section of cowling is very, very complicated. I am assuming that you have a bad rust problem. It was quite common on that model.

Sadly, I don't know of any source for the sheet metal part. You will be better off to make your own "patch" from small pieces of sheet metal.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

OK, thanks...i will search EBAY for it. Do you know what they call it in the german partskatalog? In my computerversion are all partnumbers and descriptions wiped out on item, that are not longer availible.

I know, im working on F-16's...

Yes it is in bad shape. The last owner welded the "air-intake" from the underside with a piece of sheetmetal and filled it with fiberglass padding/pondo. Not a pretty sight! :-) Else it is very rusty and need some welding and a god job og sandblasting...... Tak a peek :-)

else i am almost finished with the chassis....
need sandblasting around the transmissionframe.....will be done next weekend.... Bye from Denmark.... MIC

Reply to
MIC

ETKA shows the "windshield frame" as part number 151 805 111 F for a 1974 type 1303 (don't know what year yours is). The winshield frame consists of the cowl, the side pillars, and the section across the top of the windshield (like a "picture frame" around the glass).

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

That is for the convertible and, I imagine, very expensive. The cowl (or scuttle, in England) is part of the roof panel and the best bet would be to find a good one on a junk car and cut it off.

Reply to
Peter