Thermostat Adjustment - two different ways.

Thermostat adjustment - two different ways.

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled From: "Raymond T. Lowe" Mar

27 2001

Setting up your thermostat is a breeze. =A0With the engine cool;

=A0- thread the thermostat onto the rod pertruding through the head.

- slip the thermostat into the thermostat bracket. It will be obvious =A0 =A0how it fits, and "just snug" is fine for the thermostat bolt.

- now pull the thermostat bracket over the case stud and thread =A0 =A0on your washer and nut. =A0

Before you tighten completely, pull it down with light pressure until you feel the flaps bottom out against their rubber grommets. =A0 Tighten the nut and replace your lower tin.

Note:

Use a hot air gun or hair dryer to see if it expands. Check the oil temperature gauge.

This is not what the books say to do.

I am thinking of trying it this way though for cold weather. I plan to re-set it like the books say to do for hot weather.

------------------------

This is closer to what the books say. Thermostat Installation/Adjustment At vwresoure.com

Place the thermostat into the bracket and screw it onto the connecting rod that just pokes down between the cylinders. This rod connects to the cooling vanes up in the fan shroud.

With the thermostat screwed completely onto the connecting rod, move the thermostat up and down to make sure the connecting rod moves freely and doesn't get hung up on the cylinders.

Raise the thermostat all the way up, opening the cooling flaps. While holding the thermostat all the way up (flaps fully open), adjust the bracket so that the top of the thermostat just contacts the upper inside part of the bracket. Lock the bracket in this position by tightening the nut (13mm) that holds the bracket to the side of the engine.

Pull the thermostat (and connecting rod) down to the bottom inside of the bracket. This will close the cooling vanes. Bolt the thermostat onto the lower part of the bracket with the bolt and washer you took out of the old thermostat. Snug it up tightly.

Replace the lower air duct plate that goes under the thermostat and between the right heater box and the engine, with the four bolts you took out.

Note: I did it this way and in cold weather the engine runs cold for over 20 minutes. It does not reach operating temperature. But, this is what the books say to do.

Any help will be appreciated!

Reply to
Jim Ed

In one of my bugs, the flaps can be activated by a cable inside the cabin. I like it that simple.

Reply to
John Stafford

OK. You guys win. I will not lean it out, let it idle to warm up, or fiddle with the thermostat to try and get the engine to warm up. I will only do what the instructions in the manuals say to do.

Jim Ed