New Style Mex Thermo Adjustment Instructions Needed Please!

Hi! I got a new style Mexican Thermostat Kit from cip1.com for my 1973 VW beetle.

Are the thermo rods a different length than the original?

Last night I tried mounting the new style thermostat on the original thermostat rod and the rod seemed to be too short.

I removed it and put the original thermostat and bracket back on.

I decided to wait until I could get further instructions on this, or until I have time to remove the fan shroud to replace the thermostat rod with the new style rod.

This would also give me a chance to paint the fan shroud and get a thorough inspection of the operation of the cooling system flaps.

Anything wrong with gloss black heat and fuel resistant engine paint for the fan shroud?

I was concerned it may not radiate heat as well as semi gloss black.

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the new style replacement Mexican thermostat? Thanks! jp73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

These are original Brazilian replacement thermostats, not Mexican. The rod lenghth is the same, so it should work just fine with the rod you have in there (unless there is something not right with one or the other). The 'New Style' rod, which CIP supply, will only fit properly in a 1984 or later model Brazilian Bug, which have different design heads with larger clearance for the rod. The rods are the same as the originals except that they are not 'kinked' at the top end and so pass through the head at a greater angle.

Reply to
Peter

Hi. What is cipl.com, and how do I get there? Thanks. George

Reply to
George

If you can't get it from John C. at aircooled.net try cip1.com.

cip1.com is California imports. They used to be in California but moved close to Seattle, WA.

Here is the link

jp73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe