Tires for 1979 Westfalia Camper

I would like to get some recommendations for new tires for my '79 Westfalia Camper. I've checked the listings at

I'm still not sure what would be the best choice for me. Here's my situation:

-- I live in New England and would prefer all-season tires.

-- The current tires are Nankang Gelux, 185R14 90S N802 tires but they're showing signs of dry rot.

-- I primarily use my Bus for short to moderate length trips near Boston, MA.

-- I would prefer reasonably priced tires, but I'll pay what is necessary for a good handling, reliable set of tires.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

-- Robert Winters, Cambridge MA

Reply to
Robert Winters

but I'm still not sure what would be the best choice for me.>

pay attention to the load rating, passenger car tires won't work for you... Also before forking out the money, check the manufacture date (DOT number) especially on hard to find tires. the last 4 digits of the DOT code are the manufacture week and year. You'll want 07 or 08 made tires. They have a limited shelf life. In some places, it is illegal to sell tires that are more than 6 years old. Even if they are unused.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Within the scope of your question it really doesn't matter what you USE the vehicle for. It happens to be a LIGHT TRUCK and requires tires having an appropriate rating, especially with regard to side- wall stiffness. Most shops will try to sell a wholly inappropriate tire rated for an SUV or whatever. With the wrong side-wall rating the VW gets blown around like a willow in the wind.

-R.S.Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover

Thanks to all for the good reminders about tires. Bus Depot has a good page about tires for the Bus and Vanagon:

I just ordered a set of Hankook RA08 all-season tires from them. The reviews on the Roadhaus tires page all seem to indicate this is a good choice for both quality and price and they meet all the specs.

Reply to
Robert Winters