type 2 houseboat conversion

Hi folks! Let's dare to dream a moment...my type 2 (a 1975) has some serious frame rot and some rather severe engine leaks. I'm told that without major work, there's no way it will pass even the most forgiving vehicle inspection standards in the country (Alberta). Problem is that the interior is in near-perfect condition and everything electronic works fine. I just can't let it go.

Now, I haven't really applied a lot of brain power to this yet, but I'm curious to hear anyone's thoughts (or experiences) on the feasibility of doing a full conversion to a houseboat. I'm thinking, if I can round up a houseboat trailer and hull (do you even call it a hull on a houseboat?), I could scrap the frame, engine, and some of that other stuff that makes it a land lubber and mount the body as a full acquatic type 2...yeah baby!

Thoughts? Robin

Reply to
Robinder

I like it. "house"boat seems a bit roomy - maybe cottageboat?

Reply to
Busahaulic

How about turning it into a regular travel trailer? That should be easier than a houseboat and you'll be towing it around anyway. Put a dinette or something in place of the front seats, remove the steering system, put a generator and/or extra water tank in place of the engine and gas tank...

Rob> Hi folks! Let's dare to dream a moment...my type 2 (a 1975) has some

Reply to
tedb

Why not USE the engine? You could drive a prop off the rear of the crank, and paddle wheels off the rear hubs.

;-)

-

Jim Adney

Robindecould scrap the frame, engine, and some of that other

repair it, often the american " serious frame rot" is only some surface rust or rust that can be fixed in a day of welding at most...

Reply to
PEPPE

Hmm, welding sounds expensive, but then again, I guess maybe I should learn to do that sort of thing myself, especially if I'm considering such drastic things as turning it into a houseboat.

PEPPE wrote:

Reply to
Robinder