Update from the Gulf Coast

Well 5 months later... we finally moved back into the house last night. repairs for the most part have been completed. the house has a new roof on it and all the walls have have new sheetrock. pretty much the whole downstairs has been remodeled. looks pretty good. hmmmm hurricane season is just around the corner. well the insurance denied us the other day and so we werent covered for flood. that sucks. looks like we will have to shell out for flood insurance now...

but the 69 was totaled and was towed away, and they settled and i got a check for it. the 66 didnt have comprehensive so they didnt even want to look at it. but the '66 is still sitting with the engine still out. i figure i'll get a new engine for it and to try to get it running again.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

DW, Glad to hear you have your old house back up to speed (second gear anyway ). Man I know this has been a never ending nightmare for you and everyone in the area. Looking forward to your VW show in March. Rare Air will be there in force. Check with Doug at Jus' Bugs and I know he can hook you up with a great engine. I'm building a 2110 for the '76 and started really getting serious about getting the Wife's '69 Square going. If I can help you out on the engine build for your bug just give me a hollar. Take care,

Wild Bill Pensacola, Fl

Wild Bill

Nice to know you are making progress and are back home.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

dw,

I went to your website and read about the trouble you get to tow the bugs and how much work you had already done on the 69. It is sad to see that all ended with check after so many efforts. The most important thing is that you and your family are ok.

Jo=E3o

joao_eliseu

getting an engine? or building one? I for one will be happy to donate some major parts if you are gonna build it yourself....and I'm pretty sure others here would as well...

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Yes I know. Had alot of time into the '69. But with losing all the contents in our house - over $30k worth of stuff ruined, 2 beetles under water. I couldnt afford to fix both of them. Besides the rust on the '69 was unbelievable!!! The salt water was up over the dash and the damage to it was frightenening. rust was bubbling up EVERYWHERE!!

The family is getting along pretty well considering. But as far as the engine goes for the '66 - its toast. The salt water has eaten it away real bad on the INSIDE. I filled up a gallon paint can with this grey looking sludge that was exfoliated magnesium from the inside of the case. The heads dont look bad. So I will just pony up the $$$ and get a new long block for it and reuse my cooling tin. I'll need a new alternator and starter. I dont have the time to build a new engine and alot of my tools are destroyed... jack, air tools, compressor, welder, power tools etc... So the $$ are extremely tight , especially since the insurance denied our claim on the house.

Reply to
dragenwagen

What was their excuse, that it was flood damage and not hurricane damage? There's a lot of that going around. I'm surprised there aren't some people trying to turn that sort of stuff over in court.

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr