US Vehicle Registration regulations

Hi RAMVA! this will sound like a weird question, but here it is.

I've heard in the states is not possible to register an ultima edicion (2003 mexibeetle) to be street legal, and that most people switch VIN numbers with vintage models just to be able to drive one. I would like to know, is possible (or legal) to take a restored say, 68 bug, and register it as a

2003? even if it's not street legal, and would that allow someone to export that vehicle?

The reason I'm making this question is, there's this new regulation here that bans importation of vehicles of more than 5 years old with very small exceptions. A lot of people around this parts have been disapointed by this, because now vintage vehicles will get more rare everyday.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I doubt it, but the question I would start with is, 'what are the penalties if I'm caught?'. Given the high chance that your government will inspect the imported car when it comes in, and that just about every restoration is clearly not a two-year-old car, it might be good to know that first.

Mark

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
Mark Woodhead

It's impossible to get caught. Because, according to the law here, if the vehicle being imported is previously registered in another country, the year on the registration is the one taken as valid.

What I would do is take a great condition vehicle, restore it and register it with the year of the resto, then ship it here. As long as it's previously registered, there should be no problem. Right now it's easier to get a mexibeetle than a restored vintage.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

Reply to