vw fuel pump

just put on new fuel pump for 1969 transporter bus, 1600 engine, and it does not seem to be drawing gas. The small gass line filter remains dry. Appreciate any suggestions.

Reply to
Susanne

A dry pump won't pump much. You need to prime it with gasoline. Maybe siphon some fuel out of the fuel line before connecting it to the pump. Also open the gas cap, just to eliminate the possibility of vacuum in the tank preventing flow.

You also need to make sure you have the correct pump. There's 2 types, and they use different lenght pushrod.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thankyou Jan. I have gas to the pump, so no need for siphoning gas. Evidently, I have the wrong pump. One question -- I was wondering if the old pump is even bad. Since there was no way to get into the old pump to check the internal filter, is it possible for a pump to get clogged up in four to five years? I think that's how long the old one was on there.

Susanne

Reply to
Susanne

A bit unusual but I guess it's possible. So you have a sealed type pump that can't be taken apart?

If it really got clogged with dirt, you need to fix the root cause of the problem: dirt in the tank, and missing or torn tank filter.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Oh yea, install an inline filter BEFORE the pump. Secure it in place with some kind of support straps or something, so it won't flop around as you drive. Secure all hose connections with proper size hose clamps.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Hi Jan

Put the old pump back on because it seemed to be working properly ( Making that whumping sound). And it did pump fresh gas into new line filter, filling it. But still no gas seems to be getting to carb. So I poured 1/4 a cup into carb, but still no response. How much gas can be poured into carb? and is there a special way to do it? I certainly appreciate your help. Susanne

Reply to
Susanne

"it did pump fresh gas into new line filter"

Sounds like you have a filter between the pump and the carb. Take it out, NOW. That's the #1 reason for engine fires in old Volkswagens. Never install a filter on the pressure side of the pump. Filters have been known to burst under pressure, plus they collect enough fuel to develop a problem with the sheer mass of fuel concentrated there. It flops around and send shocks and tugs to all hose connections. Especially the connection at the carb end is dangerous, the hose may be secured to the fitting at the carb top, but the fitting itself easily comes off the carb casting. Resulting in a massive, pressurized fuel spray all over the engine. So, NO filters between pump and carb. Just a straight, one piece (new) fuel line.

When you say no response, what do you mean? Engine won't fire?

If the pump can't fill the carb bowl with gasoline, maybe the needle valve is stuck.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Most replacement pumps are backwards. The lines goes the opposite of the original. That is why you are not pumping gas.

Reply to
Karl

Oh yea, I've run into that too!

Jan

Karl wrote:

original. That is why you

Reply to
Jan

OK. Took the new pump back and got my fifty dollars back. Bought some carb cleaner spray, checked the battery charge (seems ok even after all the cranking I've been doing) and that's going to be it for the night. Tomorrow I will remove the filter between the pump and the carb and put it on the gas line leading to the tank and then try to unstick the carb. (Thank you for that tip about the danger of the filter being in the wrong place. I'm sure you're right.) Hopefully, after all that, the engine will fire. Right now I'm going to have a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and watch a movie. Bon nuit.

Susanne

Reply to
Susanne

when you are in the process of taking the filter out of the line between the pump and carb, this is a good time to test the needle valve on the inlet...hook the fuel line to the carb, then blow on it... assuming you didn't completely fill the carb bowl when you put fuel in it, you should be able to blow through the line and into the carb.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

OK. Got the filter out of the way. When I hooked the fuel line to the carb and blew on it as hard as I could, I was not able to blow through the line into the carb. Seems to be blocked. (There was no gas in the carb when I did this test.) I have some carb cleaner spray, but it says on the directions that I can only use it when the engine is running. Catch-22. How can I unblock the needle valve? Many thanks.

Susanne

Reply to
Susanne

Michael Cecil

Cecil

quoted text -

Many thanks for the info on needle valves. Very instructive. Today I got the fuel lines all replaced. Tomorrow I will see what I can do about the stuck needle valve. And I don't know jack about car mechanics. I've only had this VW van for two years. But I don't have much money, so I will do all I can myself. And I can dig it.

Bon nuit.

Susanne

Susanne

Reply to
Susanne

Cecil

quoted text -

Why is it I don't reckon the screen name is true to gender?

Could be wrong albeit...

J.

Reply to
Berg

That's a huge part of the aircooled VW lifestyle, doing it yourself. learning as you go, and realizing you ARE able to take proper care of it wit just the basic tools. That was what the car was designed for after all.

Next week you'll be tackling a full engine rebuild :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Fortunately, I won't have to do a rebuild any time soon. When I bought the VW (about two years ago) it had already been rebuilt just two years before that. It's a clean looking engine and it has run very well for two years. I just have to figure out this stuck needle valve business--hopefully I'll have time today. And yes, my screen name is true to gender. I am really a woman.

Susanne

Reply to
Susanne

LOL :) you go girl :)

Reply to
Tricky

Lol, we certainly support both here ;) We've had a bunch of female members here over the years, unfortunately most of them gone by now. Some of them moved on to web based forums or 'life got in the way' and they just stopped posting. Some keep lurking every now and then.

Heck, I even married one of them :) 5000+ miles from home...

Jan

Reply to
jan.m.andersson

I've been doing a lot of tapping, but that needle valve doesn't seem to want to come unstuck. I feel like it needs some kind of WD-40. Can I squirt a little carb cleaner into the inlet. Hopefully, it will seep into the needle valve, and then when I tap, it will come unstuck. Muchas gracias.

Susanne

Reply to
Susanne