Want to Convert '62 Beetle to 12volt, but still look stock-Help-!

How--

A friend who knows this stuff told me this, but it seems too easy to be authentic: says I can bolt a generator stand from a 1500 right on my old

40 HP 1200 block, and that would allow the use of a 12v generator that would bolt right up to the original 40 horse tin, fan, etc (of course, the 12v electrical parts will follow)--no modifications--

--and this same VW hand says a 6v starter will [still] work but "turn fast." (!)

I don't like the way the alternators look on old Beetle motors, so I'm wondering if this is a viable plan--any experience with this-??

Thanks

BuZzY '62 Type 1 RHD

(Sorry if this is a dumb question or a FAQ)

Reply to
BuZzY

There are kits with everything to convert to 12 volt. I believe it was written up in VW Trends recently. The new voltage regulator is 12vt. and gets located in the stock location on top of the generator. Using the old 6 volt starter with 12 volt? I'm not too sure about that. the 12 volt starters require a larger diameter flywheel and if you change that ,there can be clearance problems . Don't forget new bulbs and wiper motor or voltage reducer to wiper motor.The radio also needs to be 12 vt. I'm not sure of the old horn. Good luck. Fred 67 bug

Reply to
Vw67lives

Fred is right. Most of the bulbs are easy to find at your local auto parts stores except for the ones that fit inside of the Speedo. I ordered some through the dealer and found that they were not that expensive at all ($1 plus change each) compared to ordering them elsewhere and paying for shipping for just 5-6 bulbs.

Since you don't like the look of the alternator, you could stay with the generator and if you wish to keep the current stand AND LOOK TOTALLY STOCK, you could try to find a 12 volt generator off a Porsche 912 or 356. I think that they have the same dimensions as your current 6 volt generator. I am not totally sure on this though!!!

Also I think you will need to get a 30PICT1 top for the carb so you can switch to 12 volt choke. You will need a 12 volt ign. coil

Don't forget the license plate bulb and the interior either. lol

Kiss that old 6 volt radio GOODBYE! :-x

You could try your 6 volt starter and wiper motor as they are. They will turn over very fast and if they burn out then you can change them. The starter should easily handle 12 volts!

Now the horn will either blow or it will BLOW!!!! :-)

dave

the starter works just fine with 12 volts. the solenoid in it sometimes break o works too fast and clashes the gears, but you can change that to a 12 volt version and keep the rest of the starter.

if you want a 12 volt starter, you have to change the flywheel, the bearing in the transmission housing and grind a bit the inside off the bellhousing to make room for the larger flywheel...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski