Wanting to join the club...

Hello VW enthusiasts. I decided about 6 months ago that I NEEDED an older (pre 1980) VW camper van. I have been searching ever since that time, and I think I will purchase one within the next month.

I don't know what it is about them, perhaps the possibility of long road trips and adventures, or just the classic style but, I love these vans.

Do any of you have any advice for me since I am relatively new to the VW van in general? Is there some red flags I should know about when looking to buy?

I am looking to spend under 10 grand and hope to get a van that can be used every weekend and on long road trips.

-Cory

Reply to
Cory Davis

the only advice i have is, don't let the bus people hear you calling them a "van"....they get pissy over that...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Bookmark:

There are only 3 things to look for in buying:

1) Rust

2) Rust

3) Rust

LOL

Welcome to the "club". Let us know what you find.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the replies! I will never call them a van again! (rookie mistake)

On the topic of Rust, should one avoid buying a bus if it has any rust at all? Is any of the rust treatable?

Also, How expensive it body work on an older (pre 1980) bus? I am interested in one that has a decent sized dent on the rear where it was rear-ended but, I need to know how bad it will be to fix before I decide if I should drop the cash on the bus.

Thanks again!

-Cory

Reply to
Cory Davis

Perhaps someone can point our new friend to Hoover's Sermons. I don't have a link.

Reply to
jj