upgrade to disc brakes

Geetings from Holland,

I'm thinking about putting discs on my '73. It's not if but when. However I'm surfing through the RAMVA database searching for ideas. I'm reading stuff like; using T3 rear drums or a "residual pressure valve" and then some. Stuff going back to the nineties..

Are there new ideas on upgrades? I'm up for replacing the baljoints and tie rods and maybe convert to discs while I'm at it. That is, when I know what to do along with this upgrade.

Any ideas/ pointers?

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Roger I have done a few front disc brake conversions lately and think its a great idea. you can get the kits for around $250 USD and in a few hours if changing tye rods and ball joints should have great stopping power. As far as rear disk brakes its a good idea if your running a high HP engine but for anything stock its not necessary for anything more then bragging rights.

Mario V> Geetings from Holland,

Kafertoys

If you are replacing ball joints and tie rods. I would say absolutely upgrade to the disk brakes. I have no mechanical experience except for working on my bug, and I did it with no problems, in my garage, with basic tools. It stops like a different car. The best money I've spent on it yet.

Have Fun, John

Reply to
Jakalope

If you are replacing ball joints and tie rods. I would say absolutely upgrade to the disk brakes. I have no mechanical experience except for working on my bug, and I did it with no problems, in my garage, with basic tools. It stops like a different car. The best money I've spent on it yet.

Have Fun, John

Reply to
Jakalope

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

So I should leave the rear as it is? Forgot to mention that at the front I'm running 155 and at the back 195. And lowered about an inch.

About the ball joints: how do I remove them? Can i remove it with a puller just the way it is used on the tierods?

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

rear discs are a great addition once you go to front discs.... folks get LAZY once they put front discs on.... the rear drums become neglected and in time you are riding with nearly no rear brakes...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"bug '59" schreef in bericht news:45abdfd0$0$2019$ snipped-for-privacy@text.nova.planet.nl...

Yesterday I bought myself a set of discs and 4 tie rod/ball joints. Hopefully I will fix this early februari (skiing end januari) Also I'm taking my bug to a VW 'guy' and have a look at the engine together. Let's hope the end is in sight and I'm able to share the actual problem...

Roger

Reply to
bug '59