What gas mileage do you get?

What should our ghia get? DP 1776cc in a cabriolet. I keep under

75 on the freeway.

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
BananaRepublican

Best mileage I've gotten with my bus was 24mpg on a tank that averaged over

80mph. So there! I know. I cheated. -BaH
Reply to
Busahaulic

My guess would be the mid 20s for mpg. Best mileage I have achieved in my ACVWs has been while driving 60/65 mph. With the mileage starting to drop as soon as I go faster than ~65 mph. The condition of the engine, tires and alignment, condition of the wheel bearings, condition of transmission (I use a synthetic in the tranny but not in the engine), and the weight being carried in your vehicle, all contribute to gas mileage. So to does driving and road conditions and the weather. (A particularly strong tail wind once pushed my stock '67 to 35 mpg. A figure which was virtually unchanged on two tanks of gas. And in terms of driving, that was one hell of an afternoon.)

LK

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

Just curious if you have tried to drop your speed to 55/60 mph to see if you're gas mileage increases?

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

On highways I always drive my Veedubs at 100kph (62 mph) the speed for which the vehicle was originally designed. Handling is much better at that speed than higher ones, the engine doesn't have to run all-out, and it makes for a more comfortable ride. And at that speed I have a few horses in reserve for those instances when I need to pass a slower car (which happens more often than you would think) or take an incline.

Don't want to drive with less than the gas pedal floored, because you take the chance of getting knocked off the four lane by speeding trucks? Then check your map and take a two lane or other secondary road. I have found some excellent two lane highways with limited traffic and more interesting roadside scenery and features. A few of those and you don't care if you ever drive on another Interstate.

Reply to
Postman's Holiday

i have to disagree the beetle was designed to drive at 62 mph. it was designed to run on the autobahn at its top speed. that is found in owners manual for year of vehicle.

Reply to
bill may

Personally, I favor slowing down as my bugs always seemed much more stable on the road when driving 65 instead of 75. With the introduction of the 1600 engine and the dog house oil cooler, running at 75 no longer carries the high risk of the engine swallowing the #3 exhaust valve. But you're still expecting our trusty four bangers to run next to flat-out.

During the time I played a mechanic in the service it was engines - both gas and diesel ones - which were expected to run at capacity which always gave us the most problems and always required additional maintenance. That experience may be one reason I do not demand the top speed from a VW Bug.

Slow down, enjoy the improved gas mileage, and see if your engine doesn't appreciate this difference.

Reply to
Fly Steerage

Many years ago at my place of employment we had several ACVW industrial engines. Which worked very well. These were set to run a top rpm speed which I know was something like 500 or 700 rpms less than the maximum. That was one reason I never pushed my bug to higher speeds. Like others who posted their comments in this thread, my preference is to drive at 65 on the highway.

Reply to
Just an opinion

I have a VW user manual that says they were designed to run flat out, long distance. Not many manfacturers say that !

The VW engineers set the stock intake and exhaust sizes as a limiter for engine output. So if its stock you should be ok.

Rich

Just an >>During the time I played a mechanic in the service it was engines -

Reply to
tricky

Funny that I never heard brakes mentioned in this thread while addressing speed. I believe in 1967 or (European 1966) VW engineering also went to the disk brakes as well as 1600 engine. The stopping power was needed along with the increased speed of the more powerful engine. I do have to agree with one of the suggestions was to find alternatives roads. I most enjoy driving my '66 1300 at 50 mph. On the freeways I do increase the speed up to 60-62mph, but prefer to take the backroads at 50. Out here in CA, everyone seems to be in a hurry. Hurry to get to work. They must really love their jobs and can't wait to get there! I just wake up 10 min. earlier and enjoy the drive to work. A comment I recently overheard; "I bought an '05 Porsche so I could get to work on time."

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

I've spent a fair amount of time in Germany and I don't think you'll want to be even near the Autobahn with a bug. My bug driving experiences is limited, but I can't imagine it keeping up at those constant speeds:

At that time the company had rented me a VW turbo diesel - a peppy little car - and at 170-180 Km/H I was passed many times like I was standing still. The larger cars almost sucked the headlights out of my car after blowing the doors off.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Rock on... I've always had the most fun cruising country roads in the 50-55 range too. The car just feels great at those speeds and the rolling country roads give just enough bump to keep the ride interesting. If I have to be on the turnpike I try to find a semi that's going about 55, then stick myself in front of it. I figure that decreases my chances of someone flying up behind me, not seeing me, and rear-ending me. It also eliminates people who wait until they are a car length behind me to pass. I average around 29 mpg in my completely stock (except tires) '66 with a roof rack. The weather here is finally beautiful and I think I'll be driving again this weekend. What a long winter it's been. If I'm lucky, I may even see another aircooled on the road.

-Chip

Tom Nakashima wrote:

running

addressing

alternatives

Reply to
Chip

According to my owner's manual 50-55mph gives the best fuel consuption too.

My fuel records show that I'm getting an average of 29mpg too, but that's with UK gallons. My driving is mostly of short journeys (less than 15 miles), so that will always give a low figure.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Outstanding! I like your last sentence; " If I'm lucky, I may even see another aircooled on the road."

Here's one: I was driving in the slow lane on a two lane hwy in my '66 the other day. Along comes a stock '64 VW (also black license plates), pulls up next to me as we were going side by side at 45mph, with a speed limit of 45mph. I wasn't going to budge my speed and he didn't either. I thought he would pull behind, or in front of me, but he didn't, side by side for about a good

8 miles. The cars started to pile up behind us, two drivers ever honked their horn, but I figured I was correct in going the speed limit in the slow lane. In anycase, four people gave me the finger as they finally passed. I thought it was pretty funny. Another classic VW moment.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

.............There have been some unfortunate incidents where two cars blocking faster traffic on an interstate hwy. has resulted in road rage violence. One of my brothers who lives near Orlando, Fla. told me that the stretch of I-4 between Daytona and Orlando has become notorious for these types of incidents in recent years.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

. The cars started to pile up behind us, two drivers ever honked

You may have been "in the right", but allowing that situation to continue for 8 miles, was wrong. Nothing funny about it. Sometimes you just have to take the high road when the other driver won't. H

Reply to
Hairy

Is that black plates as in California 63-69 or black as in UK pre-69 plates? Must be California, in Britain they would have used two fingers.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Another stupid moment you mean,don'tcha? There's a reason there's a passing lane. Sheesh!

Reply to
David V.N.

Looks like I touched a few nerves on his one. I actually spoke with a CHP officer about this incident, who teaches driving school out here in CA. He told me, on a posted speed limit and you are traveling the posted speed limit, then you are in the right, doesn't matter what lane you're in. Of course drivers out here in CA drive way over the posted speed limit, and they feel their rights have been violated if you're not traveling faster than the posted speed limit.

As I was driving at the posted speed limit at 45 mph in the slow lane, I felt it was up to the other driver in the fast lane to either speed up or pull behind me as a courteous check. The CHP officer told me I did everything right, I didn't have to pull over because I was traveling at the posted speed limit in the slow lane.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

...............People have died while they were 'doing everything right'.

.....Shit happens.

Reply to
Tim Rogers