What gas mileage do you get?

Just because it's "right", doesn't mean it's smart ;)

if *everyone else* is driving 10 over the posted speed limit and you are not.. YOU are a traffic hazard. Screw the law, use common sense. You would be endangering yourself and others. The laws won't do you much good if you are dead.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You're probably right Jan, Common sense comes into play when driving. I've only had my VW for less than a week, and was still getting the feel of the car. There have been incidence in Los Angeles where they actually shoot slow drivers. Not a way I would like to leave this earth.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

Tom, You've only had it for a week? I thought I remember you from a year or so ago with a '66. Did you sell that one and get a new one? Have you checked fuel line/carb inlet/grommet on this one yet? Out of the 3 vw's I have bought, all of them either had an issue with no grommet, half sawn-through fuel line, or carb nipple pulling out because of inline filter weight. Check it out if you haven't. Peace,

-Chip

Tom Nakashima wrote:

actually shoot

Reply to
Chip

You are correct Chip. I purchased a '66 about two years ago, same color, and same interior red from out of state. I couldn't get the black CA license plates registered, eventhough it was in the trunk because it had been registered out of state. To make the long story short, my wife made me sell it because I couldn't transport my son's cello in the VW. I was pretty heartbroken. This year my son is now driving, so I gave him my new car (no more taxi driver) and I bought this other '66. Well I was in the market for another car, but didn't think I would end up with another VW and a '66 at that. It's actually my

3rd '66 in exactly the same color both interior and body as when I met my wife 27 years ago. I gave up the first Beetle due to my first child, as my wife thought it unsafe to transport a baby in a VW. So three weeks ago, I come driving up to the house in this immaculate vintage '66 Beetle, and I see my wife just shaking her head....probably thinking he's just as smart as the first day I met him. No more babies, or cellos, and 28 years later, I'm once again a happy camper.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

About twenty years ago you could run into that situation. But the autobahn is now too congested with vehicles to allow someone pass you going ~250/300kph.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

here in Va the "other" vw driver could have been cited for impeding traffic....as a judge told a fellow in traffic court while i watched/listened "i don't care what your speed was, you were in the passing lane and impeding traffic. You are not a police officer and therefore have no duties to enforce traffic laws"....this was in response to his "defense" that he should not have been ticketed for going too slow/impeding since he was "already dong five over"....in your situation the worst thing is you were both in vw's therefore it would be *assumed* that you two knew each other and were "playing" in traffic....i would have somehow made it a point to not do as you two did...but that's just me...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Out here in California, the only time I see people driving safe is when its raining. For some reason aside from this year, we don't get a lot of rain out here, but when we do people actually drive the speed limit. Joey Tribiani, is that your real name, or the name you hide behind? I don't watch a lot of TV, but if I'm not mistaken, the same name on that sitcom "Friends?"

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

Its not my real name, but i sure as shit am not "hiding"...anyone that has been here any time knows me....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:02:02 -0500, "Joey Tribiani" scribbled this interesting note:

Look out, people might get Chris-Crossed!:~)

John Willis

I guess it's safe to say we're all "Friends"

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

I used to think that was true. I was informed otherwise. I know better now.

Reply to
Shag

we all fit into this messed up family....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

who kicked you out of the "family" this time, shag?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Oh, this happened quite a while ago. I just made sure to remember who's friend I am *not* since they made a point of pointing out to me that I was not their friend. Don't worry. Somehow I'll pull through. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Okay, okay, i remember now....heh

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:50:40 -0800, "Tom Nakashima" scribbled this interesting note:

For years here in Texas (actually, as long as I've known how to read, I've seen them) there have been highway signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right". No mention of speed limits or right and wrong, just a simple, easy to understand statement. Within the past few years that has been refined and now on two lane Interstate highways, there are signs that read "Left Lane for Passing Only". Also pretty clear.

John Willis

It's been illegal here to pass from the right on the highway (2 lane). ALWAYS pass from the left. The vehicle infront of you might be returning (should, too) to the "driving" lane, i.e. right lane when the driver sees in his rear view mirror a faster car catching up from behind.

The law is simple: Always use the rightmost lane for driving. Pass from the left, then return to the right when there's room for you to do so.

This in Finland.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Our speed limits are well defined out here in CA, but rarely do driver obey them. We also have the highest gas prices out here. People complain most about the gas prices and yet they drive way over the speed limit. Simple, to save gas lay off the gas pedal. There is a huge difference between driving at 60 mph and 85 mph and I'm not talking speed. Bottom line: the people who complain most about the gas prices are the ones usually driving

85 mph.

Agree with the above, fines for speeders aren't cheap, plus insurance companies love it. I never filed an auto insurance claim and I've been driving since 1970. I "joke" with my friends, if everyone drove like me, gas would be under $1.00 a gallon and we wouldn't need auto insurance. -tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:09:17 +0300, Jan Andersson scribbled this interesting note:

That is the way it is supposed to work here as well...but since you've driven in the US you have some idea of what good drivers have to watch out for!:~)

John Willis

LOL..

I thought your laws were different :) People passing left and right with no real logic to it :) Of course, I drove nice at all times... *cough cough* (Glad Kidd didn't see me drive in California.. haha)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson