wheel nuts

Hi all!

Probably a dumb question, but what size are wheel nuts? Just making sure I have a good set of tools, and I think this is one I'm missing... being able to change a tyre is fairly fundamental!

Also, how much torque for wheel nuts?

TIA Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

What Kind of vehicle??

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I'm Sorry Anthony, I had to go diggin to figurre out what model/year and such

For your 71 bus body the wheel lugs should be a 19mm hex.

I shoulda looked first.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

What car? :)

A: 19mm

A bit less than what most people use. See your manual.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

A good metric 4-way lug wrench usually fits them. ;^p Snug them, then give them a good twist (probably about 1/8 turn or so). If you have trouble removing them, put the round part of a ballpein hammer against them & hit it with a baby sledge (use goggles). That usually loosens them enough to break them loose with the 4-way. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

you don't, it's its.

likewise yours

oops yeah I should have mentioned it's a 71 bus....

sorry.

Ant.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Oops sorry, assumed that bus and beetle nuts are the same... 71 bus please!

I'll look in the manual again...

Peace, Antony

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Cheers! That's pretty much what I needed, just wanted to know how much is not too much, if ya catch my drift. As for the lug wrench, looks like its tool shopping time *again* :-/

Peace, Antony.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

Reply to
Peter

and if not, you take the bearing out and take the whole wheel/drum to a tire shop with a LARGE impact gun to loosen them as I did...

10 years of rust were too much for my tools. broke 2 trying to break them free.
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

A little penetrating oil and some patience works equally well...

Reply to
Michael Cecil

unless you have aftermarket wheels... my '66 has studs put into the drum and it has acorn style lug nut that are 21mm... other than that my '69 has

19mm (which a 3/4" socket fits)

but my 4 way fits them both.

Reply to
dragenwagen