Whoa! It runs!

The new engine in my '71 Super finally runs!

I bought a can of start fluid, sprayed into the carb intakes (dual

44IDFs) but the engine didn't catch. Finally, I took off the distributor cap and readjusted the distributor by less than a tenth of an inch and sprayed more starter fluid and finally it took off!

I am using the pro-flo turbo muffler from CB with 1.5" merged headers and the sound is LOUD! I may switch to dual quiet packs.

I've been driving it around today. The best part is in 2nd gear and I hit 25 mph and the torque kicks in. Whoa!

I can't wait to run in the engine and then find a lonely stretch of straight road....

I still need to tune the idle mixture though. There isn't much space. Does anyone have any tricks to access the idle mixture screws? Thanks!

Ben '82 Westy '71 SB 2276 dual 44IDFs

Reply to
Ben

I have the single QP on my bug and like David said, it does sit low to the ground. I have had mine drag a few rock and stuff several times. It use to drag going in and out my driveway till I raised the saggy rear. I like the sound of the QP though and will continue to run the QP in the future.

Your mileage my vary.........

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

Terry, how did you raise the rear? I was thinking of coilovers (not the 8in travel ones). What do you think?

Ben

"TerryB" wrote:

%I have the single QP on my bug and like David said, it does sit low to the %ground. I have had mine drag a few rock and stuff several times. It use to %drag going in and out my driveway till I raised the saggy rear. I like the %sound of the QP though and will continue to run the QP in the future. % %Your mileage my vary.........

Reply to
Ben

Can't you just reset the splines on the torsion bar to raise it? I added

3/4" this way. Use the outer for coarse and the inner for fine. There's probably an FAQ around for how to do it -- something like 7 splines inner clockwise and one spline counter on the outer for X inches up/down...
Reply to
David Gravereaux

Disclaimer: I worked on them for a whole evening then gave up and took it to my shop for them to fix what I messed up. Watch-out that the torsion bar might be stuck on either of the ends and may need some english to get loose.

I found this on a quick google search.

Notes found on
: There are 44 splines on the inner end and moving one spline changes the plate angle 8.18 degrees.

There are 40 splines on the outer end and moving one spline changes the plate angle 9.00 degrees.

Neither of these is the "fine tuning". The two used _together_ is the way that you adjust the angle. If you turn one end one spline and the other end one spline in the opposite direction you will get an angle change of

0.82 degrees, which is the tolerance allowed for the spring plate angle. Thus, there is always one setting that will get the torsion arm into the correct angular range. You measure the current angle of the spring plate, find the difference between that angle and the desired angle, divide the difference by 0.83, round to the nearest integer, turn the torsion bar in the inner spline by that number of notches _opposite_ the desired direction, and move the spring plate on the outer spline by that number of notches _in_ the desired direction. Check the measurement and you're done!
Reply to
David Gravereaux

I will also add that I tied the body of the bug with chains to a concrete floor with tie down provisions and then used the jack on the end of the torsion bar to let it down and to push it back up after making the adjustment. By making this adjustment, I raise the rear of my bug about 1 inch on each side. I only adjusted the Drivers side as it was sagging badly and lifting it decreased the pressure on the passenger side allowing it to come up as well. I found this to be a mildly challenging procedure, and was not all that bad to do. The main factor about it that was intimidating was the fact it was very dangerous if something slipped while the torsion bar was under pressure, allowing it to snap down to the floor. That would be ugly and scare the CRAP out of you if it happen!

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

Reply to
TerryB

Sounds pretty involved.

I still need to get the engine tuned properly. Will probably also need to pull it again 'cos there's an oil leak from the front (flywheel end).

After that, I'll probably be doing brakes and suspension. I bought the front end struts and ball joints several months ago, but haven't put them on yet.

The thought also occurred to me to baja-ize the car. Well, street baja, since it's "only" a Super. Of course, the only reason for that is to chop off the rear to make engine swaps easier :-)