Why do we cover plates on internet pics?

Noone?

Reply to
Macsoft

I guess people are afraid you'll be able to look them up and find their RL address or something.

That's why we should all just photoshop Shag's plates onto our posts!

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Because they can be looked up through the state DMV (public records) giving them your name and address. Andy

Reply to
Busman

Not in California, because of anti-stalking laws.

Reply to
Karl

Yeah I also thought that the license plate records weren't "public". I was told by some police friends that even they are not allow to "check" up on some license plate numbers unless they have reason to. AND it would be good if they had that car in sight too! 8^)

I block my plates for extra protection. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

In the uk the plate tells the ecilops that the vehicle is fully legal. Say, for example, you had a green VW beetle, and saw another one on the net. If you managed to get a spare set of plates, you could then drive around appearing legal. You could also drive into London and never pay a congestion charge, as the bill would be sent to somebody else. You could also speed around, and not get nicked by cameras, as again, the fine would go elsewhere. You could potentially use them to get petrol, ie, just drive off, and the real owner would be "visited" etc.

Many reasons why its a good idea to not put them on the net.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Run, it's the ecilops!! That's like the fascist cousin of the cyclops, right? ;)

Before you drive your car do you check that your plates haven't been physically switched out?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I do cover plates on internet pics. But I do it 'cause i dont have a bumper, i use T-bars instead, witch i think it's illegal in my country. A pic would be a proofof something illegal. thanks 4 all the answers!

Reply to
Macsoft

To be honest....nope. I dont actually know what my registration number is.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Would be hard not to notice that on mine... it has MS antique car plates on it : )

Reply to
dragenwagen

for those that haven't clicked yet

ECILOP is what you see in you rear view mirror - just before you get pulled over :~)

and if you still dont get it .... POLICE

Reply to
Tricky

I did get it. The ;) should have given away the fact that I was joking.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I guessed you did - that was for the benifit of those that didn't :)

not everyone on here has Enlish as thier 1st langauge ! reading things backward might not click right away .

Reply to
Tricky

In my country, veycles like POLICE and AMBULANCE have the words spelled backwardson the front of the veycle, so you see them right on the mirror.

Reply to
Macsoft