Why Gen. Light

After over 6mo's of bringing a 73 std. bug back to life and almost r3eady to put it on the road I now havef a problem with the gen. light. To start with all ran good for a while and then the light came on so I tested and the reg. had gone bad so I replaced it and all went great. It was charging 10 to 20 amp. and 14 to 14.5 volts and light out. Yesterday I had the engine running and the light came back on. Amp's and volts show charging is ok so why did the light come on? I casn't find anything about this anywhere on line.

Reply to
Packrat46

The GEN light compares the voltage at the dash (battery voltage) with the voltage being produced at the Generator.

If generator voltage goes to zero (or a small number), the lamp sees 12V difference and lights up.

Similarly, if the generator is producing 12V but the dash voltage goes to zero, the lamp again sees 12V difference and lights up!

What does this mean? It *could* be that the generator is working correctly but something (faulty fuse connection?) is keeping the dash 12V from reaching the lamp.

Check with voltmeter while engine is running. Measure voltage on the Blu wire from the regulator. Measure voltage on the Blk wire from the fuse (wire goes to speedo lamps).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Packrat46