Just put my 1303 on ebay

If anyone is interestsed in the photo's this is as far as I got. Not finished, but time to move on !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

there's that word again...."restored"...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The rust has been 'restored' to metal ! what more do you expect for ebay ;-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

what more do you expect for ebay ;-)

a bit of honesty? like this car i just bought....description is short, but very accurate....the car was *better* than described..

Joey Tribiani

Nice looking Ghia. I have been looking out for a rust free one over here, but they go for 2 or 3 times what you payed. In general, our little wet island, is not as good to cars as some of your states, so rust free is hard to find (unless its been 'restored' ;-) )

BTW, there is nothing dishonest in my listing. The good points have been pionted out, as have the not so good.

also, if you are under the impression that on ebay, honesty is to be 'expected' you will get stung sooner or later ! It is to be hoped for, on ebay and in life, but dont expect it.

Ebayers get scammed / ripped off every day - sellers and buyers.

At least with a car, you get to see that it is 'as described' before you part with your hard earned.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Just put my bid on, but it got beat. Damn. !!!

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Rich,

You car looks nice. Are you going to start a new project?

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

ooohh unlucky - such a large bid too !

Rich

tricky

Thanks João

I am hoping to do one of these next

It a beetle chassis with a new body on top.

Its sitting in the garden waiting for some attention , but there are a few others there too !

Rich

You car looks nice. Are you going to start a new project?

João

Reply to
tricky

A very nice!!!

Joao

Reply to
joao_eliseu

in my area(lower part of the "rust belt" it too, is hard to find one in this shape...i did not intend to purchase a car, but it was one of those deals you really *can't* let pass....

it is more of a pet peeve about the use of "restored"....... your car is not....sorry...

the only problem i see with your above "attitude" is that is what causes the "system" to degrade....everyone should do their best to be honest, and yes, i'd like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.... the sellers that are not honest usually show through in their descriptions to someone that actually knows about the product.....so being vague or short can be a big warning...

does that make it "okay" because it happens? should we all give in and do what everyone else does, because it happens "everyday"? i for one, do not want to be a follower of that crowd thanks....

not if you are buying one from out of the area..... i have bought two vw's off ebay now, and have been totally satisfied both times...the first one i took time to go look at, the second(the ghia) was an impulse buy and i bid with only 13 seconds or so left in the auction.... had looked at the auction the day it was placed, then forgot about it.....signed in to ebay with only two minutes left in the auction...yikes....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

........I understand and agree with you on how the word restored is used indiscriminately by many people for cars that are no where near being brought back to the original condition when the car was new. At the same time though, it's clear that Rich is being very open and honest about the overall condition of his super and what work has been and has not been done to it. Maybe the Brits just don't have a mastery of the English Language that is comparable to us Americans..........lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Dont be sorry - I know exactly what you mean.

I suppose 'restored can mean diferent things in different circumstanses to different people.

In the UK - on ebay - the amount of rust that is being sold as ' an easy winter project' is great. So a car that has had the body removed and the bottom 6 inches replaced along with the brakes and a recent engine can be considdered 'restored' as in - fit to use on the road again - safe! - and not going to need costly maintainance in the near future. Also the reserve is set at a fair price, much lower than some cars advertised as 'needing some work for MOT' (mot is our yearly safety test) . ie a fair price for the condition its in.

I aggree completely that if I were selling it as fully restored , concourse condition - nuts bolts paint wiring etc etc then restored, mine is not, and isnt described as such.

Maybe 'some restoration work completed' would be a better description, but as I said, on ebay - in the uk - classic VW's My description is not missleading.

I dont suggest you follow anyone. I was just offering some polite advise incase you 'expected' all ebay items to have honest descriptions :-)

signed in to ebay with only

I have bought a few like that too, some turned out to be my best cars !

So, How is the ghia going ? did you put the low riders and suicide doors in yet ?

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Something we must try to work on then :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Nice beetle sounds like there was alot of work done. If a majority of the VW's there need as much rust repair as it seems, then you can call yours restored. or resto-custom.

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

I bought it off ebay about a year ago needing 'small hole in floor welding'. I paid about 440 GBP and was going to use it as a daily driver. Needless to say, the hole got bigger !

I had to do so much work to get my money back as I wouldn't have sold it as it was - not honestly anyhow ;-)

My reserve is what I paid for the car plus parts. No labour. I'll just chalk it up on the 'life's experience' board :-)

I did learn alot though.

My next one - I get to build an engine , so I will learn some more!

Rich

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I only got 550 for that lovely white 71 last year :-( No MOT mind you. Needed one heater channel. All else was solid. Damn shame. Hope its still in one piece.

Reply to
Juper Wort

........I understand and agree with you on how the word restored is used

i agree....Tim, my comment wasn't really meant as a "slam" on Rich, just making a statement/observation.... also looked at a "completely restored"

1976 type 1 on ebay yesterday(or day before)....it is completely restored(not) with chrome wheels, velour interior, carburetted engine, 009 distributor, non-efi muffler(of course) and even the incorrect rear apron....and the "special" "maplight" under the dash makes it a "deluxe"...according to the owner....(many other non-stock items, but this was just a few examples)
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

no, no....not at all saying you were missleading....it is just a common incorrect use of the term.... i guess these days the definition may be different due to common usage...

it blows me away to say this, but here goes.....the Ghia will likely remain nearly stock...very few things are on the list to "update"...one thing i do intend on doing is adding rear disc brakes.... new paint, and rework the left rear quarter panel that was repaired many years ago...but not to *my* liking...LOL...possibly an upgraded engine(possibly a small stroker engine).... possibly a "quickshift" kit for the shifter.....not alot of non-stock parts, but a few....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

So nicely 'restored' then BG.

James