Wiring Q: Terminal strips

Finally got my Tiger CDI and figure that now is a good time to tidy up the wiring to the Wonderbus's engine.

I've seen a couple photos of wire-tidying being done by bringing all the wires to a shroud-mounted "euro" style terminal strip. This appeals to me as it results in a central location where all the engine wires connect to, and euro terminal strips are happy with wire that has simply been stripped -- no failure-prone ring lugs or push-ons needed.

Who's tried this, and how well have those terminal strips worked for you?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

If you by "Euro style" mean the plastic covered "One in, one out" screw terminals, they work great! They come in a couple of different sizes and lengths of ten (or is it twenty?) terminals, they are very versatile as you can use different gauges of wire and feed/take-off more than one wire to what ever side of the terminal you choose.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Hi! I don't have a bus, but I have a 1973 VW Beetle.

I mounted mine where the dealership computer diagnostic socket plug originally was located on the upper left of the firewall. Before removing it, first I took a 12v probe and tested each wire to see if any were hot.

After I removed that plug I mounted the "euro" style terminal strip.

I got it at Radio Shack.

The 12volt wire that used to go to the coil goes to the terminal strip.

After connecting all the wires I sprayed the terminal strip with some spark plug wire water proofing spray.

Be careful and do not run any wires where they can be sucked in the fan.

After almost ten years, I have not had any noticeable problem because of water getting on it.

I mounted my Tiger CDI underneath the rear speaker shelf.

I put a few extra holes next to the speakers so the CDI could vent hot air.

On a really hot day, if I was going for any significant distance, I would lower the rear seat so more air could get in to cool the CDI.

-Hope This Helps-

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel