1986 740 GLE NON TURBO HELP!!!!

Symptoms:

Car was idling normally then went very quickly oscillated from 2K-3K for five or six iterations and then died. I checked for spark....NONE. I checked for a fuel pulse at the injectors...NONE. Any thoughts?

  1. After looking at the schematics, the only things I see common to both systems are

A. The ignition switch B. The ICU (Ignition Control Unit) C. The ignition relay.

Any of you techs ever runt across this? Am I going in the right direction? Is there anything else common?

I replaced the distributor because I was getting no spark out of the coil but when that didn't fix the problem , that is when I checked for the fuel pulse and surprise, surprise, it wasn't there either. The idling just before it died is really strange.

C'mon people, help me out. I love that old bird.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bergmann

The black relay is the injector pulse try this 1st if your car has 2 just swap & see what happens

Reply to
G Klein

The fuel computer reads the signal from the primary (low voltage) side of the ignition. If you have no ignition primary, the fuel pump won't run and the injectors won't pulse.

Common failures that kill the ignition primary (in addition to the black relay that Glenn mentioned) are the hall sender in the distributor (you seem to have eliminated that) and the power stage that is located on the inner fender up beside the air filter box.

Reply to
Mike F

I am sorry that you are having this trouble. We have had similar troubles with ours but I cannot tell you what exactly finally fixed it. If I ever find out I will let you know. I was also wondering if you could point in a direction of some website that would give me a diagram of the fuse box - what each fuse is for. I loaned my car to someone and they took all my paperwork and my manual out of my car and I have been unable to get it back. I have to change the flasher relay and I want to make sure I have all fresh fuses at the same time. Thank you for any help you can give.

Reply to
Hisservant