1994 850 non-turbo, stalls in hot weather

Symptoms vary, but seem to hold with either starting off where the car has been soaking in the sun for several hours, or lots of short trips (< 10KM or 6MI per leg). If car is running, engine dies and we coast to the side of the road. After taht, everything is the same: will not start or barely starts and chokes for a couple rev's and then dies again. I pop the hood and go find a coffee shop or pop dispenser or walk. Anytime after five to twenty minutes, a restart works -- car runs like a top.

I've had the obvious suggestion done -- replace the cam shaft sensor, and have had three more sessions since it was done two weeks ago, all during our balmy Toronto fall weather in the last week.

What do I look for now, hopefully on the cheap side.....

Reply to
byrocat

byrocat decided to add:

my 940 did exactly the same - it often stalled in hot weather then would start only after about 20 mins, with no problems. After over £800 worth of "expert" work, a simple reset of the onboard management system did the trick - All I did was leave the battery off for a few minutes, that resets the memory and off it went - no problems now for about 6 months...

Reply to
bigjon

Sounsds like something else that I can try (cheap too! -- if I have the right radio code....)

Has anyone had similar problems (random death of engine) from a wonky fuel shutoff selenoid/switch/sensor and how much did it cost?

Reply to
byrocat

byrocat decided to add:

you could simply remove the correct fuse - on the 940 it's fuse no.1...

Reply to
bigjon