1995 440 Tried to start - loud bang - now nothing ??

Hi

First post on here.

Went to start the 440 this morning, it tried to start as normal then after about a second there was a loud bang. Now it won't do anything.

I know *nothing* really about cars. I have someone coming out later to look at it but just wanted any ideas of what could have happened/how serious this is.

I'm praying its something simple but as always expecting the worst : )

TIA

Reply to
ivandurneen

Doesn't even turn over, or turns over and doesn't fire? If it still turns over, maybe moisture got in the distributor cap? If it doesn't, the engine may be hydrolocked or something. What motor is in a 440?

Reply to
James Sweet

That's good news.

fwiw, the loud bang is fuel igniting in the air box. Don't touch with the gas pedal while trying to start it. Fuel injected motors (when they're working right) do all the fuel stuff automatically. Pump the gas, risk blowing off a intake hose or the air box.

(Tip I learned here, years ago) Instead of cranking and cranking continuously, let it turn over a couple times, stop, then try again. The fuel system needs pressure in order for all the systems to work. Older fuel injection systems, the pressure bleeds down when the car sits. Try to start it with no pressure and the ignition doesn't get the signal to spark. Turn it over a couple times to get the pressure up. Now all the sensors are happy. You get spark next time you turn it over and it fires right up.

Reply to
clay

I've had a loud bang caused by moisture in the distributor causing unburned fuel vapor to build up in the exhaust system. I've seen it split a muffler open. I had a spark plug wire fall off on my 240T once at nearly full throttle, the backfires sounded like gunshots and the thrust bent the tailpipe.

Reply to
James Sweet