Saturn SL1 - Failing to start after a normal drive

Hi, I recently bought a used Saturn SL1 1997. Till today the car was driving well with just a small starting noise problem, which I will describe later.

Today after just entering my work parking lot, I noticed the ABS light on. This had never come before. I parked the car and stopped and tried to start it again, it just did not start. I waited for an hour and tried starting the car again and the car started this time. I stopped the car and tried starting it again and again it just won't start.

Has anyone faced any similar problems?

About the starting noise:

When I start the car and put it in the drive and move, just as I reach

5-6 mph I hear a very rough, squeaking sound of metal engaging with metal. The sound lasts for less than a second and comes from front left of the car.

Any pointer to above queries will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Sanjeev

Reply to
Sanjeev

This has been discussed on several news groups. Seems GM and Saturn have the side post battery connections in which the positive(red) one has a tendency to corrode(inside) and cause various problems such as the one you describe. I think you have to take the terminal on the cable apart to see it.

That sound is the abs brakes testing itself or so the dealer told us when we bought our 97 SL1 new. Sounds like rocks in a rolling tin can. Been doing it since 97 and still going strong. Good luck, MR

Reply to
MR

That would be the abs doing a self test but I never heard anyone discribe it like that! It should sound the same as when your abs engages in hard braking.

Reply to
Blah blah

If the battery connections are ok ... I had similar problem with 98 SL2...Found out finally that it was the crank shaft position sensor..$12 part...It only did this after it got warm and did not show a code...Replaced it and now car is doing fine..

Reply to
saturncrazy

Thanks to every one for the help..

It was the alternator that was faulty. The local repair shop replaced it. But when I took the car for the test drive I could see the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light on. I showed this to the mech (not a saturn dealer) .. he said you drive for some time this will go away on its own .. I drove over the weekend for nearly 300 miles .. the car did great and after 300 miles the light also went ..

Is this normal ?????

Thanks, Sanjeev

Reply to
Sanjeev