1995 960 starter removal/installation

I've got a dying starter on my 1995 960 sedan and want to replace it myself. On all my previous cars this has been an extremely easy job requiring no special tools and doable in under an hour. I haven't even looked for the starter yet on this car, but suspect that it may be "buried." Can someone let me know what obstacles, if any, there are that I need to know about before I start, like special tools, items that have to be removed first, etc? The quote I got for a starter replacement was about US$500 ($260 for an aftermarket part and 3 hrs labor). The 3 hours of labor was a red flag for me. I trust the shop but am hoping they either confused my car with another model or even though it's 3 hours, it IS doable by a backyarder like me if I'm willing to spend the time and don't mind having to buy a special tool or 2.

Reply to
Dave