1997 960 Changing Oil PUMP

I need to clean oil pick-up filter and who knows what else. Oil light keeps coming on . I feel I'll need to clean the inside carbon deposits while I am there. any advice would be helpful.

Reply to
Paul Rood

Did you change the oil pressure switch first?!?! Maybe that's the problem!

Reply to
M.R.S.

If you've kept up with the oil changes the pump and filter are probably okay. I suggest starting with replacing the sender - much cheaper and easier, and likely to be the problem. However, don't drive the car until you have it sorted out for sure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I am the second owner. The first owner put 62k on it and NEVER CHANGED THE Oil, she just kept adding when it got low. The engine is full of carbon and muck. For every 30 min. of run time the oil light comes on so stop the engine wait 15 min. and the light goes off for another 30 min. The car was given to me from her estate.

Reply to
Paul Rood

Oh, my! In that case....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Tks

Reply to
Paul Rood
Reply to
John Robertson

Use synthetic if you want, but I don't and my engine is fine.

5W-30winter, 10W-30 otherwise, usually Chevron or Shell, whatever I can buy dirt cheap through a coupon ad at the parts store.

Change oil and filter frequently, more frequently than Volvo recommends.

Use a Mann filter.

IPD carries them.

Reply to
zencraps
960s should always use Synthetic Oil in the engine just as in the gearbox and differential. Even the M90 gearbox (manual) uses synthetic oil. If you use dyno oil it only shows that you do not treat your car how it should be treated. With synthetic it is quite in order to "stretch" the oil change interval. The filter should be changed only at recommended intervals as it is wasteful of filter capacity to change it more often. Mann (Mann & Hummel) filter is absolutely fine. Zencraps may possibly have an older 960 than yours (perhaps 1991/2/3). The 960 was made to use synthetic oil.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes