1998 V70 XC/AWD Ignition lock will occasionaly not engage (spins uselessly)

I am able to get the car running with a bit of fiddling. With tension on the steering lock, key inserted and no start. Have blown in some graphite lock lube and seems a bit better. I now check for any tension of the steering before starting and this seems to have cured the problem. Am a bit worried that the mechanism is damaged and may leave me stranded.

Local indie shop wants $630 U.S. to install new part, they say it is not repairable and must be ordered from overseas (keyed to my current key by VIN #). Any experience out there with this particular difficulty? Would appreciate hearing from you on this board.

Thanks

K.W.

Reply to
ken wright