1999 S80, Here we Go with Dashboard Errors - I owned it for a week now

I am seeing, usually first, an STC error, tells me to stop safely.

Now is accompanied by the following messages:

ABS Service Required STC Service Required Power Steering Service Required Emission Control Service Required Brake Failure, Stop ASAP

I plug my ODBII scanner in and I get code P1633 (Manufacturer Aux Input/Outputs). I clear the code with the scanner, and all messages go away for awhile, sometimes a day. Sometimes an hour.

Everything seems fine, no power loss or other problems. I understand this computer system uses a CANN system, somehow it multiplexes signals and sends them between the computer modules. Someone suggested that possibly one code could hit a trouble (like STC), and that the data buses can possibly flood themselves causing delays in communication with other sensors. The delays cause the computer to think other systems are down, causing the messages on the dashboard.

I suspect a possible vaccuum leak on the brake booster, I hear a slight hiss - perhaps that is enough to throw the whole system out of whack.

Since so many system seems involved, I also still suspect an alternator problem as well?!?

Has anybody had the combination of problems?

Not happy with my "new" S80s temper.

Deacon Eisenhart

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

<djmcreynolds1

Had all these errors when my ABS computer went south. Mucho £££ to fix. There is somebody who repairs them in the US but can't remember his name...

Welcome to the '99 S80 owners club. It's a very expensive club to be a member of :-(

Reply to
shaun

"shaun" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk:

Found this re: ABS repair.

I am not connected with this fellow, I am simply keeping him in mind should I need his services myself.

The services offered looks like an alternative if this is what you need.

Reply to
newtovolvo

hummm...interesting web site and volvo info...thanx for the url........

~^ beancounter ~^

When I bought the car, I bought a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. I hope it all works out and the problems that need fixed are fixed.

Thank you for the link, I did come across that before and bookmarked it. It seems like the Volvo computer is useless technology if one code triggers another. My car tells me power steering is failed. Why? I'll know when it fails when it doesn't work anymore.

I really hope that somewhere out there, beyond this newgroup, there are people happily driving these cars without any problems.

I bought a great christmas CD that I am going to play when things start lighting up. Maybe it'll help me cope.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

When there's a problem with the ABS computer, often the errors involve a problem with the computer reading the wheel sensors. This will then generate an error in all the systems that use wheel speed info, as the ABS computer is the one that reports this info onto the network. This would account for the STC message, and maybe the power steering message, if you have speed sensitive power steering. The brake booster leak is a fairly common problem on those cars as well. The "Emission Control Service Required" message it the equivalent of the check engine light, the code for that will be readable with a generic OBD-II scan tool.

Reply to
Mike F

OBDII code P1633 = Volvo Code ECM-510F = Speed signal missing

It would seem that the ABS ECU is failing or there is a problem with the CAN Bus.

Reply to
OBD
  1. Does anyone having any idea how credible this source for ABS/STC module repair is?
  2. I have not had any errors from the car today. I have an appointment with the Volvo Dealer down the road in about a week, but I'm afraid that if I cannot keep an error on the system, they may not be able to confirm a module failure - or any problem at all. It seems like the braking messages are being erased when the car is restarted.

  1. I don't know why this is, but if I turn off the STC system, where I get the warning light the system is disabled, usually within an engine restart or later in the drive the car will show all of the previous aforementioned codes.

  2. Is there any place I can get a code translator or a computer scan tool for reading the special Volvo codes?

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

I do not know anything about this specific repair place. (Thanks for finding it and postint the site) I know of another repair place just starting to repair ABS control units. I know of 3 ABS brains that have been repaired and they are working ok. The repair shop that I know about charges $180 to repair the ABS brain. The repair place that you mentioned sounds like alot better deal. I would not have any trouble sending them my ABS brain if (when) it fails.

If I remember right, a new ABS brain is around $300 to $400 US dollars. Some repair shops and dealerships charge 1.5 hours to read codes and replace the ABS brain. At $80 per hour that is at least $120 labor alone. Follow the instructions, take your time and you can remove and install the brain yourself. BD

-------------------------

Reply to
Big Dick

My dealer wants $680 for the ABS controller with the Traction Control. In addition, $75 per hour.

I bought the E5 Torx socket from ebay to remove it from the ABS pumping mechanism.

It sounds like these ABS repair shops are putting bigger current handling/heat dissipative components on the board inside the controller. The failure DOES seem to be heat/weather related. Humid warm days with rain tend to throw mine into errors whereas a nice cool day everything is fine.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

  1. No personal experience, but there's been nothing but good thing said about him on the brickboard.
  2. Don't worry, codes are stored for quite a while, even after the lights go out
  3. There is, but you need a laptop computer and big bux.
    far as I know, there's no aftermarket reader that will do everything.
Reply to
Mike F