Timing belt on 2001 S40

Hi All,

Does the 2001 S40 have a manual or a Automatic timing bet tensioner? Has anyone changed their own timing belt or should I go to the dealer. I do all my own work, but never did a timing belt.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed

Have the dealer change it. The S40 has a manual belt thesioner that needs to be set to the proper pre-tension upon installing a new t-belt depending on the temp of the engine at time of installation. Also the one cam shaft has electronic controlled timing. The cam and the cam gear needs to be set exact when installing a t-belt. The cam gear, not the cam shaft can and will turn when the old t-belt is removed. The cam gear has spring tension on it. Engine oil pressure makes the cam gear move when needed to change the timing via an electric controled solenoid.

If the new timing is off, the check engine light will turn on. If the new timing is off too far you bend the valves.

BD

-------------------------

Reply to
Big Dick

Thanks BD,

The owners manual recommends 105,000 to replace. I always check the serpintine belt and what I can see of the Timing Belt when I change my plugs at 30,000 mile. I have 70,000 miles on the car and the belts look great. No cracks or anything.

Do you think it is safe to go the 105,000 or should I change it earlier. About what is the cost to change that belt? Any ideas?

Thanks, Ed G

Reply to
Ed

Reply to