2006 S60 portable satellite radio installation tips?

Hi,

I plan to install a portable satellite radio in my S60 using a vent clip that comes with the car dock. The radio is a Sirius Stiletto 100.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has installed something similar in an S60 (any model year is fine) and has any tips on where to put the antenna and hide the wires etc. Or better yet, if you know of some interface kit that will directly connect the portable to the Volvo's FM radio/cd changer, that would be great!

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kingston

I "installed" a cellphone holder with a vent clip once and it never worked properly. Vents are not intended for this purpose.

I have a nice suction cup mount for my sat radio that attaches to the windshield way low in the middle so is nicely out of the way. I would look into that kind of mount if I were you. It is a little further to reach to change channels but you shouldn't be playing with it while you are driving anyways. My sat. radio came with a nice little remote anyways that is easier to use than the knobs on the radio set itself.

I know a direct hard-wired connection to your car stereo is ideal but is a lot more trouble, involves accessing the rear of the stereo and I am not sure there are the require RCA input jacks or whatever. I took the easy way and just used the wireless radio transmitter option and it worked fine.

Also took the lazy way out on the antenna, leaving it sit on the dash. Works fine. Fishing a wire to the recommended external location will involve pulling off internal trim and gluing the antenna to the roof of the car. A lot of trouble, then what do you do when you change cars?

My two cents...

Mark K> Hi,

Reply to
Inno

I just put an XM radio in my V70. I went the easy route, I had the shop install mine. But it really didn't look that bad. I had them install the cradle just to the right of the steering column. They used a clip that goes between where two different types of plastic on the dash meet. It seems pretty stable.

A more important question is whether or not you want to direct wire it into your radio. If your radio is not Sirius/XM ready, you will need to connect it through your antenna jack on the back of your radio. This may require two adapters. A direct connection (either through the antenna or RCA jacks if your radio has them) is far superior to the wireless broadcast system that comes with your radio. If you use the wireless broadcast, you will need to have the satellite very close to your radio. You may still get static when you use your radio.

As for the wiring, it was pretty simple too. On my V70, there is a fuse panel on the end cap of the driver's side of the dashboard. That was simple enough to tap into power there. They just popped off the trim around the windshield and ran the antenna wire up to the roof. The antenna is magnetic, so it sticks to the roof.

Good luck with yours!

Tom.

Reply to
<govtslug

I was hoping to use the vent mount as I do not like the suction cup on the windshield at all.

I have the factory radio unit with the 6 disc changer and dolby surround. I don't think that it's satellite ready as it's not even an option in the 2007 model here in Canada - not that I can see from the volvocanada.com website anyway.

Thanks for your input!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kingston

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I don't think my radio is satellite ready as I don't even see that option being mentioned in the volvocanada.com site.

I'm not very mechanically inclined so I think I'll have the shop look at it for me as well.

Have you had any problems with theifs breaking into your car since you installed the radio and car dock? I don't plan to leave the radio in the car but I wonder if there are people out there who will try to steal the car dock!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Kingston

Well, they could try to steal anything...... but hopefully if you just have the dock on the dash, they wouldn't waste their time. Now if you leave the radio in the dock, it probably would be a tempting little piece of equipment for them. Best thing is to pull it out of the dock and put it under your seat if you leave the car in a parking lot.

Tom.

Reply to
<govtslug