240 Not Starting

I have an issue that I'm hoping someone could offer some guidance to. This morning, I started my 87 240 DL to find that it didn't want to stay started. It starts and then immediately dies. If I hold down the accelerator, it will keep running, but as soon as I let go, it dies. Does anyone have any clue as to what could be causing this?

Thanks, Jason Williard

Reply to
Jason Williard

Check under the hood for vacuum hoses that are detached or cracked, most likely that will be your culprit

Reply to
Adam Wilner

Check what Jason said, then unplug the airmass meter. If it runs better that is probally the problem.

Reply to
Rod Gray

Classic symptom of a failed air mass meter.

Reply to
James Sweet

With the ignition OFF, unplugt the Air Mass sensor. It is in the big plastic tube between the Air cleaner and intake. There is a release you need to squeeze.

If the car then starts and idles, the problem is in the air mass sensor or it's wiring. You can drive it in "Limp Home" with the AMS disconnected but it has NO power, Sometimes cleaning the plug contacts works. But it is usually the sensor. There are much better prices on line than what the dealer wants.

I wish I had known that when I limped to the dealer and emptied my checking account. Lack of an Air Mass sensor is also the reason I like my 94 940s with Regina injection.

Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

If this is what it is wrong , check the wiring harness also - it could be the insulation falling apart and shorting. My air mass meter failed as a result of a shorted harness. No use putting a new air mass meter in only to have the harness short again.

Reply to
Neoisthe1