360GLT engine stops whilst driving. Please help!

I own a Volvo 1.9 360 GLT. Whilst driving sometimes the engine just cuts off. I still have power for lights etc. I have to restart the motor by turning ignition off and starting up normally. Car starts up first time as though nothing happened. Problem is completely random either driving fast or slow but does seem to happen sometimes when I accelerate quickly. Before it dies whilst driving the engine coughs and sputters before power is lost. Please help. this problem is becoming very frustrating.

Reply to
hereafter

...not to mention downright dangerous. I wouldn't be waiting for a reply here, though the advice might be very good. If you're still driving it, get it fixed before you kill someone.

Reply to
jg

Its not exactly typical symptoms, but the usual engine cut out problem on this car is the fuel pump fuse clips. They are too stiff and with a little corrosion and age can be unreliable. Best to replace with a sealed inline fuse, but bending the fuse clips in a little and cleaning can offer a temporary solution. The auxilary fuse box is behind the battery, mounted on the wing.

It doesn't seem much like ignition problems, but something could be loose. Make sure all the ignition is very clean and sound with newish parts.

These cars usually have little to go wrong and are mostly reliable.

BTW knowing the year is helpful. I assume since you think it is a 1.9 you mean it is the B19E from pre-1984. The engines are all closer to 2 litre.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony Stanley