4 years for a water pump - does that make sense to you???

My 1993 240 had a new water pump 4 years and 20,000 miles ago. I'm losing coolant fluid.

I though water pump would last easily 5+ years.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Should I look elsewhere? The lost of coolant is very slow. Should I go for a pump change or ???

Thanks.

Reply to
Sammy

is the leak from the pump shaft seal, or from the rubber gasket(s) that mate with the engine block? About a year ago, I replaced the pump and gaskets on my '89 240, not knowing that the rubber gaskets are known to fail, and can be replaced without replacing the pump itself. I kept the old pump as a spare, just in case, and could have saved myself a little money had I known! on the other hand, if the leak is from where the shaft enters the pump body, it's the pump seal itself, and you need to replace it all....

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid

Reply to
R Weinberger

It could be leaking out of the round rubber dounut seal on the top of the pump, where it seals the head inlet. I have had that seal leak from time to time, for years. I have replaced many good water pumps only to need the one top seal. Not part of the pump, while, kinda, part.

What I do, now, is just let it leak. When the engine heats up the leak stops.

I may add a pint of coolant a month and I watch it carefully.

I know that many of you guys would never have a B230FT with a water pump that leaked, after you put it in. I check the bearing weep hole, If it leaks there, I replace the pump.

Changing the water pump is a good time to do other maintenance thingy.

Not hard to do, just takes time. Nice Spring thing to do.

Regards, Bill @ Home in Wisconsin, USA Maroon 1989 760 Turbo wagon! w/134k miles ;-} Black! 1989 780 Turbo Coupe w/143k miles 8-} Blue Mule 1987 245 non-Turbo w/205k miles :-)SOLD

Reply to
AJ

Thanks all for the info. I had "forgotten" to look for the bueish-greenish liquid. Will sure do.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sammy

Such are remanufactured parts.