'68 122 brake question

Hi group:

Does anyone here know older Volvo brake systems? I have an old Kombi with the Girling disc/drum system with the 'remote booster' tied into a dual master cylinder. Currently I am using a pre 68 master cylinder with no vac booster. I have the parts that came off the car, but can't find any parts to repair them. IIRC the old setup would allow brake fluid to be sucked directly into the intake manifold, causing various problems AUCI! Any hints as to where to source parts for them or alternative fixes (ie; more or less bolt on, booster/MCyl. options) greatly appreciated.

TIA Dave G.

Reply to
Dave Gee

Dave,

I am sure you would have better luck with this question at the Brickboard, or on the 1800 list at yahoo groups. Rebuilt boosters, and kits for rebuilding them are available, although i cant tell you exactly where. A worn brake booster can draw brake fluid into the intake manifold. You will see light grey smoke in the exhaust if this is happening.

good luck, george

Reply to
faustus

Give IPD a try on

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Hi again group.

Thanks for the tips, on Brickboard I was able to find an old thread that mentioned 80's jetta booster/MC combination as a pretty close fit with a physically small 'pot' that will fit without interfering with the clutch MC. Off to the salvage for a closer look tomorrow. This is much more to my liking than repairing the girling unit only to be faced with another hunt when the girling goes out again in a few years. Several years ago I finally got rid of the Bosch generator for a Delco Alt., when it goes out, it will be a trip to checker, instead of an expensive and time consuming rebuild of the Bosch. You have to keep these things in mind because...Volvos Last Forever!

Again, thanks for the tips. Dave G.

Dave Gee

Here are a few places you might try. Remember that early 1800's and

122's shared many of the same parts. Particularly brakes, suspension, motor and transmission.
Bob
Reply to
User