760 Cabin Air Filter

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of a 1988 760 GLE.

And, of course, I have a question: not long ago there was a thread here regarding blocked-up filters that were meant to clean the air that was drawn into the passenger cabin (pollen filter?). Does the 760 have such a filter? I ask because the heater fan can be heard working but nothing is coming out of the vents so I suspect this filter is clogged shut. If there is no such filter then any advice on where I might start looking would help.

I figure if something crawled in and died in the months the car was sitting I'd be able to smell it.

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

No filter in the 760s. Is that the Automatic Climate Control (ACC), with a "calibrated" temperature wheel and a mode selector lever? If so, you can expect it to be a vacuum problem - either the vacuum source is not giving you vacuum or the controller is haywire... uh, hay-vacuum hose.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Check for vacuum leaks from the servo pipe junction to the air conditioning inside the car. There is also a pipe that goes to the temp sensor in the central roof light housing. There is no pollen filter as such but if the fan is rotating but air is getting nowhere then check the vacuum modules and valves in the air con unit (this is why air con costs a lot to maintain).

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

The cabin air filter was not introduced until the 850 series in 1993 as an option and standard equipment after 1999 on all models. It was not available as a retrofit for the 700, 200, or 900 series. The heating/air-conditioning system is set to default to defrost mode if the controller is not functioning properly.

Reply to
joseph amitrano