Re: Engine Rebuild info

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:20:33 GMT, "Chris Carver" ran around screaming and yelling:

What I would like is some advice and recommendations on techniques, books, >videos to get, websites ,things like that. >

in addition to a couple good repair manuals(bently, haynes) check out the "bugme" video lineup

Joey Tribiani

Well, for a newbie on Usenet, you're doing very well!

Try this site:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Get the "Idiot Book" By John Muir, A manual of step by step procedures for the compleat idiot It's old 60's style and technology, but I've built 2 engines using his instructions exclusively and averything works great and lasts. The intructions are simple, easy to understand and use no "special tools". such aa a $.98 hose clamp for a ring compressor instead of the offical $9.00 proper tool. hose clamp works just as good.

Reply to
Cletus

Another book to act as an adjunct to the Muir tome is the book by Tom Wilson: "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine". This is a great guide that should be part of your "technical library". I rebuilt my first engine using the procedures in this book (and also from knowledge gleaned from newsgroups, e-mail listings and websites). The "How To" book is written in a step-by-step way with plenty of explanation of some of the more technical points. Muir's book is good in a "quaint" sort of way and there are some good things to recommend it but....I would *not* make this my only reference if I were doing my first engine rebuild. You should also have a copy of the "Bentley Manual" covering your year of VW; the Bentley manual is the official reprint of the VW factory service manual. And if you want to round out your library, a copy of one of the Haynes manuals for your year VW is also nice to have. All of these can be had thru Amazon.com; eBay; or even your local bookstore. Happy hunting, good luck and have fun!

Mike '73 Kasanrot Kafer

Reply to
Mike

Seconding the ideas of the BugMe Videos....

Contact the Higgins family directly through their website... they'll cut you a deal on the entire library...

You'll save the money in trashed parts and mistakes.

MN AirHead

I third that. I have the full set and they offer something even for those who think they are "advanced" aircooled mechanics (cough cough)

Absolute goldmine for a newbie.

Jan

MN AirHead wrote:

Reply to