Fuel Pump Problem?

Can someone tellme if this sounds like a fuel pump problem or possibly something else?

I was driving my 93 GMC Sierra (3/4 ton) home last night and while driving the engine cut out (electrical remained on) 5 times. Each time I rolled to the side of the road and restarted the engine. Of course the fifth time the engine did not start and I ended up getting towed.

The stall thing happened to me 1 time about 4 months ago and I wrote it off as a gremlin. I am now wondering if this was a warning sign the my fuel pump (or something else) was on its way out.

Let me know what you think.

Regards.

Reply to
Lex

Mike Levy

I could be wrong but I think when a fuel pump goes, It Gone ! I had one go out and the only sign it gave me was " We ain't goin nowhere " could your fuel filter be clogged? there an easy fix for about $10. maybe someone has another idea Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

I have two experiences with identical symptoms. Both were due to power not getting to the fuel pump. One, believe it or not, was due to a bad ground lead from the battery. One auxilary leads had a bad crimp connector. The other time, it was due to a loose connection at the fuel pump relay.

Check the wiring and relay first.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

Don't have specific info on the 93 but on several GM vehicles I've owned there was a fuel pump prime lead somewhere under the hood. Generally it's a connector coming out of a wiring harness that you wonder what it's for. Applying 12 v to this lead will run the fuel pump. You could listen for pump operation without background engine noise. I'd think if you suspect fuel problems, the first order of business would be to determine if you have fuel pressure or not. If you don't have a service manual, a trip to your local library may be in order. There's generally a trouble shooting guide on the fuel system. There's several componets in the path that determines power to the pump including a relay and oil pressure switch. Generally the fuel pump will run 2 secs when you turn the ign. key and will stop if there's no oil pressure. My 'fuel pump' experience was on a 95 S10.. I would start and run fine but if you shut off the engine within the first 5 mins. or so after starting it would not re-start. Wait a couple hours and it would start.

Reply to
DonW

Following up so y'all know what the prob was.

I took (towed) the truck to Auto place and of course once it was there it started right up and they could not dupe the problem. I left it there for 1.5 weeks. I finally picked it up on Wed and I got about 1 mile from the auto place and it died.

This time I left it there and the auto guys came and took a look. They determined it was the ignition module. Sound Resaonable?

They replace the module and said it started right up - of course I am afraid I'll get a mile down the raod an it'll die again..

Thanx for all your replies

Reply to
Lex

+++++> YES

Reply to
Scott M

. . . . Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Feb 6, 2004, 10:24am (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com (Lex)

Following up so y'all know what the prob was. I took (towed) the truck to Auto place and of course once it was there it started right up and they could not dupe the problem. I left it there for 1.5 weeks. I finally picked it up on Wed and I got about 1 mile from the auto place and it died. This time I left it there and the auto guys came and took a look. They determined it was the ignition module. Sound Resaonable?

They replace the module and said it started right up - of course I am afraid I'll get a mile down the raod an it'll die again..

Thanx for all your replies ========== ========== Sounds reasonable to me......

but......

If it does it again..... fill up the gas tank, and don't let the gauge go under 3/4 of a tank before you fill it up again and see what happens.

jest a suggestion....if the module didn't do the trick.

marshmonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster