850 AC blower won't shut off wen ignition is off

Hi there.

I have a '94 855 that had the AC modified by Volvo on a recall to make sure that the AC blower would work long enough to dry out the condenser. The purpose was to prevent mold etc.

Recently it will not shut off. In fact it has drained my battery twice.

I have found that if I shut the fan switch to off that the feature that dries out the condenser does shut off the fan....

Any thoughts on this one?

Do I need a new relay? If so where is it and how easy is it to replace?

If not, what might the problem be?

Thanks

Dunc

Reply to
Dunc

On my '97 850GLT, when the ignition switch is in the accessory position the blower runs if it is set to a fixed manual speed but not if it is set to the auto position. I don't know how Volvo modified your A/C. It would seem to be a bit iffy to just wire it like that, but if they only added an extra timer maybe the timer went bad.

Reply to
L David Matheny

I believe they kit includes a relay that jumps the fan motor positive wire from it's normal supply (through the fan controller) to a live connection to the battery. I have no idea where this relay might be, but you should be able to find it by following the wires back from the fan. It may be stuck in the "on" position.

Reply to
Mike F