1996 Volvo 850 - check engine light question

I know this is a really vague post, but my check engine light came on yesterday evening and is still on after many restarts - 1996 850 Turbo Sedan. Car still is running fine with no apparent problems other than the check engine light. I visually inspected everything under the hood and under the body ... no evidence of anything loose. Any suggestions before I take to the mechanic? I do not have the equipment to pull the codes on the

1996.

Regards, .... Larry

Reply to
Larry

May sound too simple....but are you sure this isn't the "Service Engine" light (literally says this, as opposed to pictogram of engine..) that comes on after an oil-change interval???

Thinking simply in Halifax,

Kevin

Reply to
K Bourke

No, it really is the check engine light. And I have also disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes then restarted .... still have the check engine light on. Thanks for trying to help. Appreciate it. The service light has been on for about 1000 miles. I have changed the oil but just have not had a chance to go have it reset.

... Larry

Reply to
Larry

You can go to

to see some common problems, but unless it is a visable cracked hose, you'll need to get the code to figure it out.

Reply to
Roland

It's probably something to do with the emissions. Either one of the O2 sensors, or the air pump. It also could be a vaccum leak (that would be the least expensive). There are some push on hoses near the flame trap (turbo may not have this)..any way at the base of the air intake hose ..that you might check. I didn't have a turbo

850.. maybe someone else can help.

Fred-

Reply to
fb

If you're in the US, from what I hear Autozone will read your codes for free....

Reply to
Mike F