850 sedan trunk latch

'94 850 sedan.

The rod from the lock to the latch is disconnected from the latch. I removed the latch, and was able to remove the cover and reinsert the rod ( after getting a new plastic bushing/link) and reinstalled the cover. What I've found is that because of where the rod is routed through the trunk lid, it is impossible to get the latch back in the trunk lid. It's as though the rod should be installed after the latch is in place, but unless one has very tiny hands, I don't see how this is possible.

Haynes is of no help, as they essentially say to remove the latch and then reinsert it. wow, what a help there. ]:-(

Any help here?

Thanks! Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1992 VW Passat (Taxi) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

Let's try again....in case someone with the answer was off-line..

Thanks!

'94 850 sedan.

The rod from the trunk lock to the latch is disconnected from the latch. I removed the latch, and was able to remove the cover and reinsert the rod ( after getting a new plastic bushing/link) and reinstalled the cover. What I've found is that because of where the rod is routed through the trunk lid, it is impossible to get the latch back in the trunk lid. It's as though the rod should be installed after the latch is in place, but unless one has very tiny hands, I don't see how this is possible.

Haynes is of no help, as they essentially say to remove the latch and then reinsert it.

What is the 'trick' to this? Ron/Champ 6