850 Glove box latch stuck

After searching the archives, I found the following answer to my stuck latch. Is this the best idea that anyone has come up with:

My 95 850 wagon's glove box is stuck. >The best way that we found is to get a wooden wedge, and place it as >close to the small U shaped catch as possible. Gently push it in >until there is an opening wide enough to get a single hacksaw blade >through the opening. Place some duct tape on the glovebox area you >will be sawing next to - to prevent cover damage. >Saw through the black U shaped catch. The go back to the friendly >volvo dealer and buy a new lock mechanism for the door lid and a new >catch. Costs about $25.00.

Any other hints? Thanks much. Jay

Reply to
Jay Epstein

Cut a hole in the old glove box door to release the latch manually. Buy a new door for lots more than $25. This method takes way less time, so is preferred by mechanics. Cutting through the U shaped catch can also mark up the dash or glove box door if you're not methodical and patient.

Reply to
Mike F