850 TDI automatic gearbox ATF change?

On my 1996 850 TDI station wagon with automatic transmission - is it possible to empty the ATF completely by draining it from a gearbox bottom screw similar to the engine oil? Or is there something always remaining inside? Or are there models without draining screws?

Reply to
viktor

It cant be emptied, and it has no drain plug. You need to remove a hose on the oil cooler, run the engine and pump out oil, fill new on, run engine etc. Do this to the oil has color as new oil. Think you can find some guides on the internet, which are quite detailed.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

"Niels Bengaard" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:45a155c1$0$937$ snipped-for-privacy@dread12.news.tele.dk...

Hi Niels, thanks again for your input. I start to understand, why the service plan has filling up for the gearbox only, no change. Rinsing with new oil is probably quite expensive, not to speak about unnecessary waste of oil. What about suctioning it out? There are these little car battery driven pumps with thin stiff plastic hoses. Can I get down to the bottom of the system through the refill opening? Then I might think about suction the old oil out almost completely and then just filling in new oil. Or is there a compartment in the system which does not drain to the lowest point. I have downloaded something for the 1995 850 models, but not the diesel engine. I am expecting "the" solution of the information shortage in my physical mailbox soon from the UK. Regards Viktor

Reply to
viktor

Wasnt that expensive, i bought 3 x 4 litre cans from Volvo at $40 each and used 10 litre totally. Wouldnt try to many different methods to save perhaps 4 litres of oil, costing 40$.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Assuming it's the same as the gasoline engined models, which I believe it is: Most of the gearbox oil is trapped in the transmission, of the approx. 7 litters in there, only just over 2 will sit in the bottom. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the transmission. Drain the transmission, reinsert the plug and refill. disconnect the top cooler hose that goes into the left tank on the radiator, and attach a hose to it that will reach a drain bucket Start the car, turn off when 2 litters come out. Refill. Repeat. Volvo specifies running through 16 litters this way, I find the fluid is clean after "only" 12. Have a new seal and spring clip handy to reattach the transmission oil hose to the rad.

Reply to
Mike F

My stupid spell check changed liters to litters! Argh!

Reply to
Mike F

"Mike F" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@allsttream.nett...

beter misspeled litters then corectly speled galons :-)

Viktor

Reply to
viktor

Keep that up and we will carry you out of here on a litter, you maroon :)

Allen

Reply to
Allen