850 Turbo vs. S70 T-5?

Apologies for yet another "versus" q, but...

I'm considering a '96 850 Turbo sedan ("platinum" limited version) and a '98 S70 T-5 to replace my '94 850 Turbo, which met its demise at 160K in a collision with a Ford Expedition.

I haven't gotten to test drive the T-5 yet, and was wondering preemptively:

- Is the S70 interior solid? Does the wood trim add anything or is it "cheap"?

- Does traction control really help either of the vehicles' handling in bad weather conditions? My '94 didn't have the TRACS option and wasn't great in the snow. Not a big deal though.

- Is the slight additional power (14 hp?) and torque noticeable in the T-5?

The S70 has 18K more miles and costs $2K more. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for any input.

-A

Reply to
Alison L Miles

On my -00 V70 the STC helps a lot getting started in rough snow condition. Sort of poor mans four wheel drive.

/aw

Reply to
Anders Wiklund

I have a '96 850 wagon and live in Ithaca, NY which probably has the most Volvo's per capita outside of Sweden.

Here TRACS is considered a must have item. Combined with good snow tires and sensible driving, you don't need 4wd.

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

Other than appearance, there isn't a lot of difference - in fact the biggest difference is the positioning of the power window switches. If you're like me, then you think having the switches on the door is where they should be. Maybe you're used to having them where they are on the

850, and you'll have a hard time getting used to them on the door. When I bought my 98 V70 new, I didn't think much of the wood trim. I added a 98 S70 to the fleet 4 years later, it had the wood trim. If I was to do it over, I would get wood trim if given the choice, it does add to the interior. Overall I prefer both the softer style and gray colour of the S70 interior, (and exterior) and so far no interior problems. I have a steep portion on my driveway, and once when there was a foot wide strip of ice on it, I tested the TRACS. With one wheel on the ice, one on dry pavement, I started from a stop with the TRACS on and off. There was no noticeable difference in traction, the only difference was the noise made by the system when it was on. My advice - it doesn't really help, I'd buy whatever car you preferred for other reasons. Get winter tires, they're way more important than any other traction aid. You really won't notice the extra power.
Reply to
Mike F

Thanks, all good to know. And yes, after driving my '94 for 6+ years, I'm quite used to the odd power door switch placement. I still can't figure out why they, or the mirror adjustments, wound up where they are.

I drove the '96 850 yesterday. Steering was much tighter and suspension better than on my '94. The premium sound system is very nice. The roof trim looked a lot like the hideous stuff on the '94 that cracks and peels off (I wonder if it will?) but as of now, it's in perfect shape.

I'm due to drive the S70 today. There has been a delay because the dealer listed the car and THEN sent it off to the body shop for a hood repaint, the detailer, and then the (non-Volvo) shop. I got a call last night that the car was "just fine" but needed a new ABS sensor, and in order to do some of the work the speedometer was disconnected, but that the part wouldn't be in until the beginning of next week and the car was being taken from the shop until then so interested parties could test drive it.

I know there are electrical/ABS issues with these cars, but do you really need to disconnect the speedometer for a sensor replacement? ECU, maybe? If that's the case, I guess it's better to deal with before purchase than after. I just hope I'm getting the straight story from the dealer. Wonder if this'll fail on the 850 as well, eventually...

Thanks for all of the info!

-A (trying hard to make a good decision)

Reply to
Alison L Miles

There is no disconnect needed for sensor replacement. However, the ABS control unit is a common failure, (codes indicate a sensor failure, but it's the control unit), and if it's removed for repair, then the speedo won't work, as the speed signal is sent from the front wheel ABS sensors through the ABS control unit to the speedo. And both the 96 850 and the

98 S70 use exactly the same control unit and suffer from the same problem.
Reply to
Mike F