broken dipstick handle in 850 and s70

I'm the pround owner of a new 99 s70 t-5 with a broken dipstick handle. my old 95 850 has a similar problem. Volvo has a new dipstick but also requires a new dipstick tube. I hear it's a bear to install. I've heard the new dipstick is longer than the old one, and if you use it with the old tube, the dipstick doesn't go all the way in. Couldn't I merely grind off the tip of the new one and not replace the tube? Or maybe there is a universal one I could use. Junkyard replacements are no better than mine. Billy

Reply to
bk