87 Max update

I finally got my car home! I got the car running. The only way I can get my car to start is to pour some gas in the air intake and the car will start. If I don't pour gas into the intake it will not start. It will not start with mass air flow sensor plugged up. ($170.00 part) The mass air flow sensor has to be unplugged bfore the car will start. Once the car has started, it will idle smoothly but when i give it gas, the motor surges and will not hold a steady RPM. What could be the culprit? I tried to pull codes off of the computer and the only code it shows is code 44, which I was told that means it has no codes stored on the ECU. Is this correct?

Reply to
Maxima

You need MAF input to keep car running. Possibly your MAF has shorted... Without MAF, engine is kept in safe mode =below 2200rpm ceiling.

That MAF price is for (?) reman. They tell that typically you get 3 bad before one working, take care.

At least my Maxima OBD-I codes may be used for lottery... codes:

If possible, measure the signal. If youre electronically adept, there are some links to build the MAF electronics, see page 9; click below

Reply to
Wiikinki